Weber 32/34 problems, help!

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by matta90, Oct 5, 2012.

1. matta90 New Member

Hi,

I have a 1991 Golf 1.6 Driver, was running relatively fine on a pierburg carb for the past few months but I decided to do the weber upgrade just incase it developed any problems in the future. Bought a used weber off ebay and had it fitted a few weeks ago, my dizzy cap had a crack in it and so that got replaced with a new one, but the car is now running rough particularly when the engines warmed up.

Took it out for a short drive this morning, around 30 mins or so. Was fine starting from cold and felt fine for the first mile or so with the choke out. I'm still sort of experimenting with the choke to find out what works but alot of the time when its warmed up i'm still having to fiddle around and pull the choke out when i'm setting off or wanting to pick up speed.
    Even when the temperature gauge is sitting in the middle, I find most of the time I still can't push the choke all the way in as it loses power and just feels like its struggling. Its also alot more hesitant when I put my foot down and struggles to accelerate, theres also a high-pitched whine/whirring noise coming from the engine at times when I accelerate?

Would be really grateful for any help with this, fitted the weber as an upgrade but all its done so far is cause me problems! Unsure as to get the carb cleaned/tuned and engine serviced and hope it solves the problem or whether theres something else wrong with it?
    Only problem I had with the pierburg was you had to keep it revving first thing when started otherwise it would cut out, but after that it ran absolutely fine

2. wassell Forum Member

have you had it jetted yet? sounds like its not fueling correctly. webers (as with any carb) need setting up for your own engine. it doesnt matter if 3 people all have the same engine specs, when the same carb is used on each, its likely they will need slightly different settings.

i'd recommend you find your nearest/best recommended old school engine tuner able to tune webers and book the car in for a session. shouldnt cost much but you'll have a much better running engine.

3. WillG

WillG Forum Member

^ as above, sounds like it might be jetted for a 1.8 rather than your 1.6.

4. matta90 New Member

yeahh if my mechanic can't see anything else wrong with it then I'll take it for a rolling road session and tune-up and hope that solves it! cheers