Weber 32/34 throwing fuel out the top

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Stu_polo, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Stu_polo Forum Member

I rebuilt my 32/34 DMTL carb last week for my 1800 mk2 driver.

I put it on today and when i started the car it fired up great and sounded lovely however, a few seconds later it spluttered and died.

I looked a bit further into it by running it quickly without the airbox on it and the fuel appeared to be rising up out the top of the float chamber.

Does anyone know why this could be? please help i need it to go to staffordshire county race way next week. (not looking hopeful at the moment)

2. EZ does it Forum Member

Any chance you've bent the float lever during the rebuild, and now its filling the chamber too much?

3. Stu_polo Forum Member

Very possible, i did give them a bit of jiggery pokery when disassembling the carb. I also read in another thread about a float gap. Whats this? what should it be and how do i set it?

4. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

It sounds like the float height is wrong - or the rear tag of the float (not the needle valve tag) is pressing against the float chamber when assembled - I did this once.
    It tells you how to set the float height in the weber rebuild manual I sent you. Basicallly you hold the top half the carb vertical with the float dangleing and measure the distance between the top of the float and the carb top. This measurement sets when the needle valve is open and closed.

5. Stu_polo Forum Member

Cheers Andrew, will do that at lunch! thanks for the guide, was a great help.

If anyone needs it i will be willing to send it on in PDF form

6. Stu_polo Forum Member

Ok well i've sorted the fuel spilling problem however now the car starts and then dies after a short bit. Is it possible I've now made the floatgap too small and the float chambers arent getting enough fuel?

7. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Possible yes.
    Does the car run if you keep the throttle pressed? If you've dismantled the carb properly though the idle screw and mixture screw will be set wrong. You could fiddle with them to get it running. But your best off getting a bearded garage owner to tune it properly.
    I assume you've checked for vacuum leaks - spray carb cleaner or WD40 around mating faces to check for vacuum leaks, the revs will pick up if there is one.

8. Stu_polo Forum Member

Yeah I checked everything I could, I'll try getting the float height more accurately set and then look at a garage. Thanks for your help mate, been a life saver!

Thanks!

ps does the garage owner have to be bearded?

9. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

It normally helps, but I guess someone trained by a 'beard' would do ;) .