weber 40 starting problems (now with video)

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by phil88, Mar 31, 2010.

1. phil88 Forum Member

Car: mk2 golf 16v 87

Im trying to diagnose why my car isnt starting after a rebuild, I had an old thread for this and so far i have...

Starter motor cranking engine
    Timing correct
    A strong spark from all 4 plugs (correct order too)

Ive bought a fuel pressure gauge set it up to 3psi, but once I stop cranking the engine the pressure drops back to 0psi, is this meant to happen?

Also my acceleration jets are are spraying a very dence jet of fuel directy onto the floor of the carbs, no mist at all. is this correct?

my old thread is here, bit messy tho as someone else was posting there problems in there too.

http://clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=205945&page=1

Cheers for the help

Phil

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  2. EZ does it Forum Member

How is the pump wired in? It should be live whenever the ignition is.

Also the pump jets are meant to squirt like that, nothing to worry about, except it looks like about 10p gone every time you move the throttle :lol:

Have you tried easy start to see if it will go at all?

3. phil88 Forum Member

yeah the pump works with the ignition, goes up to 3 bar but then after a few seconds will start to drop back down to 0? should it keep its pressure?

ive got a video of it trying to start, not sure if that will give any clues?

http://vimeo.com/10607264

With a squirt of easy start it turns over better but doesnt start up

As regards to the initial setup these red circled serews are the other thing i adjust right? Haynes guide says screw all the way in then backturn 3/4

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  4. CockneyPaul Forum Member

Sorry to hear that your having trouble, I am also searching for the same solution except I am using zx9r carbs and it sound exactly the same as your video.
    I have tried spraying atomised fuel straight down the carbs, I have a very good spark too. I do think its down to fueling but am struggling to see why.

Good luck my friend I am gonna be keeping an eye on your thread.

5. danster Forum Addict

I would back the mixture screws out 3 complete turns as an initial setting. They have a very fine thread so 3/4 of a turn is virtually closed.

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

If you haven't got any sort of fuel pressure accumulator, then the pressure will drop when you switch off. Should be fine on a carb car.

Are the carbs a known quantity - have you had them jetted to suit the engine, or are they 2nd hand ones with unknown jets?

Other than that - listen to your uncle danster ^^ - he knows a thing or two about setting up carbs.

7. danster Forum Addict

I presume the basics are correct like there is an ignition spark, and at the correct time, cam timing is correct, there is fuel getting to the carbs, the jets are not blocked with corrosion or dirt, the spark plugs are not soaking wet or oily preventing a decent spark etc, etc.
    The engine should at least offer to fire if the throttle is pumped as there will be fuel getting in through the pump jets that you say are squirting.

8. jamez Forum Member

The acceleration pump jets should not pump fuel on to the floor of the carb inlets. There is a small metered hole that, when the jet is installed correctly, faces toward the inlet of the engine. When the accelerator is pushed this lowers a lever that acts on the plunger fitted between the carb inlets and forces fuel out the pump jets. If you remove one of the pump jets you will see that it is flat on one side corrosponding with a flat in the carb body. There should also be a very thin aluminium ring fitted around the pump jet.

[​IMG]

I set fuel mix screws fully in until they stop without force, then out 2.5 turns, the idle screw out untill it it no longer makes contact with the lever, then in untill it makes contact, and then a further 1/2 turn.

You have no choke fitted, so before starting give the accelerator 3 quick pumps, then start, but you will have to first be sure that the pump jets are working correctly. If the engine starts, you will probally have to keep it running with the small pumps of the accelerator for a few seconds till the engine warms a small bit.

Then adjust the balance between the carbs. Adjust the idle mix screws untill a good idle is acheived, not the screw inbetween the carbs.

The right carb, then left barrel, i.e. second circle from right,under this, is the screw cap missing??

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  9. danster Forum Addict

These carbs look like the top breather type ie type 34 & 35 which mean they are pretty old and were originally fitted to hillmans.

As Jamez mention it should run if the throttle is pumped a few times to squirt fuel through the pump jets instead of using the choke.
    There should be a jet of fuel about .5mm squirting out all the pump jets. It could point down as there are different kinds of nozzle but most likely squirt towards the throttle plates.

Also the brass screw cap he mentions needs to be there as this covers and seals the progression drillings. If it is not the engine will not draw in any idle / progression fuel mixture on that barrel of the carb.

10. phil88 Forum Member

the brass screw cap, there isnt one on my carbs, its just a blank. here:

[​IMG]

The carbs had apparently come from another 16v, but i bought them 3 years ago so wouldnt be able to find any more infomation on them.

as regards to the setup:

chokes, 32
    the bigger needles have f9 on both of them,
    the little ones have f26 and 50 written on them
    the main jets: 145

(these numbers are from an old thread, gonna go double check them)

11. danster Forum Addict

If they have not been used in 3 years they will really need the lids taken off to check everything is ok inside. If they had any moisture in there when they were taken off it may have corroded bits which will block the drillings and jets as they have very small apertures.
    F9 is the emulsion tube jet at bottom is main jet, jet at top is air corrector. the other assembly is the idle jet.

12. phil88 Forum Member

Yeah ive had the idle jets out and checked there not blocked, mixture screws are wet when i pull them out. I was aware of moisture being a problem so they have been stored in a dry place. so hopefully can rule that out

Spark plugs have petrol on them when I pull them out, but are all firing aswell. this is doing my nut in!

Yeah just double checked everything now:

Idle jets: F26 50
    Main Jets: 145
    Emulsion tubles: F9
    Chokes: 32
    Pump Jets: 40

I spoke to my mate whos coming over tomorrow, he thinks the problem might be the timing, even tho i believe it to be correct.

13. phil88 Forum Member

Cambelt was out a notch.... silly me

Took a little peusading but got it running! cheers everyone for your help

14. jettagti Forum Member

Who's a silly boy? [:$]:lol:

15. danster Forum Addict

Doh!;)