weber carb choke cable problem

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by c_b_g_b, Oct 27, 2009.

1. c_b_g_b Forum Member

Basically, took my car to a garage to get my weber fitted yesterday - done all the work on my car so far but the last time I messed around with a carb things went horribly wrong! (and after spending 220 on a new carb I don't wanna mess this up!) :lol:

When I picked it up the guy said he couldn't tighten the nut on the back of the choke cable properly so it's not tight on the dash if you see what I mean.

He said i'd have to get a new cable but it was brand new out of the box - I think he's just rushed the job and not tightened it properly to be honest, although possibly rounded, will have a look this weekend.

Just wondering if anyone could help me out with a tip or two on how to tighten it up! He said he couldn't get a spanner to it and he couldn't get his hands too it to tighten it either.

Cheers guys, :thumbup:

2. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Has he put it where the blanking plate on the dash is (below the steering wheel to your left)?
    If you undo the connection at the carb end you can pull the inner cable out of the outer cable and into the car. You should see that the end of the outer has an allen key recess in its end. Either hold the nut on the rear and tighten with the allen key or hold with the allen key and tighten the nut - whichever works best for you. Remove the bottom bit of the dash so you can get your hand up there.
    Then just re-thread the inner cable back through (make sure the end isn't frayed before you push it through) and reconnect to the carb, making sure that when you pull the cable the choke flap closes and when you push it back the flap is fully open.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  3. c_b_g_b Forum Member

Thanks Maximo.

Yeah he has put it there but he hasn't tightened it all the way up you see.

It's in the car and works fine but it's loose, meaning you have to hold onto the mounting of the choke while pulling out the cable.

I was just wondering how to tighten the nut on the back properly so it's secure.

4. EZ does it Forum Member

I had the same problem with my Weber, never bothered to sort it out, just straightened it all the time!

If you take out the plastic panel under the dash on the drivers side and look up from underneath you'll see the screw that holds in the square plate that the choke cable mounts to, I guess you could take the plate out and work out a way of tightening.

5. c_b_g_b Forum Member

Nice one ez. Although I think i'm being slightly misunderstood - he has mounted it where that blanking plate used to be but he hasn't tightened it all the way up meaning when I pull on the cable it moves around a bit, it's on the dash but not tight and secure.

The carb works fine however and i'm really enjoying the luxury of being able to drive your car first thing in the morning! :lol: But paying almost 300 to buy one and get it fitted you kind of want a perfect job done [8(]

As I said, I haven't had a proper scan at it yet - i'll have a tinker on the weekend.

Cheers guys! :thumbup:

6. pigbladder Forum Addict

sounds like he's a gonad tbh

what i had to do was leave the cable off the engine end and thread a deep socket over it and tighten the nut , then refit the other end of the cable

get a genuine vw cable and end if you can ...make the dash light work then

7. EZ does it Forum Member

Sorry, I forgot that I fitted mine a bit wrong, I put a hole in the blanking plate and mounted the cable on that, not sure how to do it properly [:$]

8. c_b_g_b Forum Member

No worries EZ. Hopefully he has just rushed the job and not tightened it fully, if he's cross threaded it i'll go back up and go all Jack Nicholson with a pitching wedge on him! :lol:

9. erantomer Forum Member

imo you can hold the nut behind only with vice grips.

10. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

When I bought a new weber for my mk2, it came with its own mounting plate, which I used instead of the VW mounting hole - ended up mounting it to the bottom dash piece on the drivers side, next to the centre console.. very easy to tighten up then and looks neat too! :thumbup:

11. erantomer Forum Member

nothing will look neater than putting it in the recess.

12. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah kinda makes sense to use the factory position when its already there

like i said...deep socket over the cable , job done

13. c_b_g_b Forum Member

Right, sorted it out on Saturday with my fingers. Was a bit of a mission but got there in the end.

The guy is clearly a plum, last time I take Gertrude (the Golf) to him!

He didn't even fill the water up after he changed the carb and didn't tell me either, so unknowingly I'd been driving around for half a week with minimum water in the engine! useless.

Anyway. Just got to get it tuned now.

Cheers guys! :thumbup: