Weber carb heater from the 2e2

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Dono, May 2, 2007.

1. Dono Forum Member

Last nite i read a page on this forum about putting the heatermodule from a pierburg 2e2 onto the weber to help it run better.

i can't for the life of me find it!!!!

some1 said they were going to try it and let us know if it made a difference - thinkit was Sciroccotune, not sure though.

anyway, i wanted to know if the piston/module off the 2e2, pushes or screws into the weber (front at the bottom) and if it screws, is my weber threaded for it behind the blanking plug that is currently there?

cheers,
    Dom

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I think the heater you're referring to is at the front of the Pierburg carb low down. It's a black, cylindrical thing, about 15mm or so diameter by about 15mm long, its held to the carb with a single (M4 I think) screw, which presses a spring-loaded plate to physically push it against the relevant spot on the outside of the carb. 1 Black wire comes out of it, double-insulated to prevent manifold heat damaging the primary insulation.

If the wire looks to be about to break off, PM me for instructions on how to re-wire it; I haven't got round to writing up this particular episode in my Pierburg recon saga yet. It's dead easy though.

Don't know the Weber, but from what others have written, yes, it should bolt straight on.

3. Sciroccotune Forum Member

twas mee indeed, funny you should mention this as today the heater is dis'ed and i had to keep the choke on for much longer than i normally do.

so i guess it must do something :)

as for going on the weber aslong as you have the correct adapter bracket it should connect as per the 2e2 - i dont and have not yet been able to get it but will try the ebay retailer that has helped me before as i want to get rid of my bodge fixing.

;)

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

So, I thought I should do the 'write up'. Tried to sketch the thing in Word and paste it in here, but don't have the knack, so apologies again for lack of pictorial help. If you've got one of these things in front of you, I think you'll 'get' what I'm saying...

The thing looks as if it’s all permanently riveted together at the outer end, but, as so often happens, you clean it up a bit externally, and the thing falls apart in your hands.

The bit that looks a tad like a small 1 coin is just a push fit in the inner end, slip a blade between the metal bit and the plastic barrel, and out it pings. You’ll then see a little 3-pronged springy contact bit that puts the current onto the PTC heater itself, which is the ‘1 coin’ bit. You’ll also see that the wire solders onto this contact insert. If you push the wire from the outside inwards, this contact part should emerge, allowing access to desolder, trim back, and resolder the wire. Reassambly is the reverse...

When soldering, there’s a tendency for the primary insulation to melt/creep back, so try to be quick. Try to ensure that where the wire emerges from the plastic housing back into the outside world, it doesn’t ‘frict’ against the metal mounting plate, bend/route it out at right angles to the axis of the cylinder. Also worth rotating the 1 coin heater bit a few degrees so that the 3 contacts press on ‘fresh’ bits of the silvered inner surface of the PTC device. And of course, you’ll want to clean the outer, heat-transferring and electrical ground connection of the PTC heater (The mounting bracket/screw are isolated from the heater, but become ground-connected when you bolt it on).

Edit: When I used the acronym PTC, I was referring to 'positive temperature coefficient', this means that as it warms up, its impedance/resistance goes up, so it's 'self-stabilising' at a particular temperature. It gets hot v. quickly if 12V is applied across it off the carburettor, and may melt stuff/burn you. It's obviously designed such that the carburettor acts as a heatsink, to keep it from burning out, while giving the desired warming of the idle-outlet area. I wonder if it is just a coincidence that Part Throttle Channel heater also abbreviates to PTC? Possibly a mistranslation/confusion, maybe just a coincidence.

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  5. Dono Forum Member

thats a great write up Pete, well done,

i was looking through my pile of bits and bobs, and can only find a polo carb, and a pierburg 2E, not a 2e2, so still need to find 1 so i can find the part i need.

can any1 find the original link i was on about as i still cant find the bloody thing!!!

6. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I reckon the one you've found that says 2E on it is a 2E2, as far as I know that's what they say on them. Look up some pictures/diagrams of 2E2 on google images and compare with what you've found.

Don't know that thread that you're trying to find the link for, but search terms might include "Part throttle channel heater", "Throttle body heater", "PTC heater".

Good luck,

Pete

7. GBK

gbk Paid Member Paid Member