weber carb help

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by mk21600ryder, Jun 19, 2007.

1. mk21600ryder Forum Member

ive just put my weber carb on my mk2 1.8 along with a new head gasket cam belt and a skimmed ported and polished head and it splutters really bad and wont rev past 3500rpm. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

cheers for any advice

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Errr, if you're happy that the cam timimg and ignition timing are right, I'd be wanting to look at the mixture with a decent gas analyser; maybe running very rich? What idle revs have you got?

3. mk21600ryder Forum Member

well it idles at 1200 but the choke has to be out quarter of the way any less than that it just cuts out. ive been told it might be something to do with the vacuum

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Ah, yeah, a biggish vac leak could explain it. Check the rubber hose from intake manifold to brake servo connection, they often perish/degrade on the underside. What did you do with the vac pipe that used to go to the green ball/pull-down unit (assuming that a Pierburg carb was previously fitted)?

5. Barkstar Forum Member

What's the Webers history? They're pretty simple units so there's not much to go wrong really.

Barkstar [:*:]

6. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

I always say get your car down to a garage for a proper carb tune up after fitting a carb, doesn't need to be a rolling road place.
    Just cos it worked fine on one engine doesn't mean it'll work spot on perfect on a similar one.

7. mk21600ryder Forum Member

ive changed all the vacuum pipes tonite with no difference and jst thought i would double check the timing as a mate did it and it was 3 teeth out on the dizzy/oil pump so adjusted it and it runs ok now. ez pete i took the ball off as i was told that the webers dont need it but its in the shed just in case. Just need to adjust the idle because it cuts out when the choke is off, is it the screw with the little spring on?

8. Barkstar Forum Member

There are two adjustment points - the screw (A) with the spring on the throttle lever, which adjusts tickover speed and a mixture screw (B), which is in the base of the carb at the front left as you look at it from the front of the car. warm the car up, set tickover to 850rpm with A and then adjust B to give highest speed. Then do A & B again until the highest speed you get with B is 850rpm. Then turn B half a turn clockwise to weaken off the mixture to give CO emission of 0.5 to 1.5 and a tickover of 800rpm. Ta Da. Job done.

Barkstar [:*:]

9. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Have you got the vacuum pipes connected correctly?
    The one from the back of the carb goes to the rearmost nipple on the side of the airbox. On the large brake servo pipe vacuum pipe there are two nipples, one needs to be blanked and the other operates the dizzy vacuum advance.

10. mk21600ryder Forum Member

yer ive got the vacuum pipes the right way round after looking at a mates car with a weber on. will try setting the idle up.