weber dmtl jet sizes for a 1.6 scirocco

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by phuriousstyles, Sep 30, 2010.

1. phuriousstyles New Member

Hello all, just bought a weber dmtl 32/34 from fleabay was lucky and got a very good deal a nice clean carb with all fitments and even an air box chucked in free! (: bonus
    Anyway i removed the jets as i was sold it being told it was from a 1.8 clipper and found the following sizes

idle jet primary 55 idle jet secondary 60
    air corrector primary 155 air corrector secondary 155
    emulsion primary f-30 emulsion secondary f-25
    main jet primary 120 main jet secondary 125

Can anyone help in telling me if these are correct for the 1.8 because i get the impression these are for the 1.6 which would be very nice indeed as mine is a 1.6 scirocco running a ew engine with a mechanical lifters head being an '84 (:
    any advice would be greatly appreciated cheers Malc

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  2. erantomer Forum Member

according to weber book of lies:) these are the correct jets.
    for 1.8 you'll want 117/127 idle, 145/200 air corrector and f30/f33 e-tube.

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

So is yours a 110 bhp Scirocco GTI engine, or a lower spec carb one? It'll make a difference to the jetting it needs. I'd think a GTI lump would want something closer to the 1800 jet settings.

4. danster Forum Addict

Mike, EW is the 1595cc carb engine. Basically a EZ.

Give the lad at Fast Road Cars (ebay shop) a call. He is very helpful and will be able to tell you what it should have fitted, and supply the parts if required. :thumbup:

5. phuriousstyles New Member

Thanks guys for all the help, after a goodnights kip and some more trolling through the archives on here this morning, i found this info somewhere in here scanned in from a weber techincal data sheet.
    Mine is the earlier type 1.6 carb engine '82ish thru til '86 with the mechanical lifters (75bhp WOW lol) EW engine code.
    So anyway my findings were:
    for the 1.6 carb engine
    primary secondary
    main jet 120 125
    air corrector 155 155
    emulision tube f-30 f-25
    idle jet 50 50
    pump jet 45

for the 1.8 carb engine
    primary secondary
    main jet 120 140 <these 2 figures were penned in? 117 127 initially air corrector 145 200
    emulision tube f-30 f-33
    idle jet 55 60
    pump jet 45

Which turns out to be good news as mine is the 1.6 and all looks correct except fot the idle jets for some bizzare reason?? see fleabayers never get it right so its always good to check
    Anyway weathers good so its going in this afternoon i shall report back later on how well it works (or not) i also grabbed a full cylider head from an '83 GTI with the mechanical lifters (perfect cam for mine) now the head is cracked in 2 places but the cam is in mint condition so i'll be chucking that in soon too but not today, apparently you have to faff with the timing and i cant be bothered today.
    After that all i think i need is a full gti exhaust including manifold and fingers crossed i should hopefully be pushing closer to 100bhp which is all i want from my little 1.6 not bad findings me thinks for less than 70 for carb, head and cam, as i have a spare air box too now im going to fashion a direct cold air feed from next to the rad straight to the carb but again another day now. thanks again guys will keep ya posted :thumbup::thumbup:

6. danster Forum Addict

Hi there, best not describe your engine as the early 1.6 as the true early ones were 1588cc and had a different bore and stroke from the later 1595cc engines. Head gasket faces from head too block were different too with oil ways in a slightly different position.

Yours will have a mechanical shim tappet head though. These engines have very low compression as std so if you have the opportunity to get the head skimmed at some point it would be a good thing to get a fair old amount removed. 1 to 1.5mm if it has not been skimmed already. :o
    I got 125bhp out of my old EW but that still had low compression due to a crud machine shop sinking the valves in the head when they 3 angled the seats.
    Great engines though as they are oversquare with the short stroke, A VW rarity that!
    I cannot wait to fire up the latest EW engine I have built. ;)

7. phuriousstyles New Member

Well after a quick drive out for some parts namely nuts and washers and a can of carb cleaner, just for good measure! its in place and running, sounds absolutly stunning in comparision to the old pooburg! :thumbup: only thing i forgot to check for was the return spring on the throttle linkage :( so im unable to set the tick over properly as it doesnt quite return all the way, quick rumage round the house might find something suitable?
    Cheers Danster for that advice you sound like a man in the know;) and wow 125 bhp! think i'll be looking forward to hear all about the new EW you've been building! that being the case im defo keeping it a 1.6 as i was hoping to keep her original heart anyway, (no need to tell the DVLA and the likes;)) and if and when the money tree blossoms i'll be joining that quest for a 100+ bhp from a EW engine.
    And i did manage to speak to the guy from fastroadcars he said the jets should be perfect for my set up as thats what his book of magic quotes them as!;)
    Cheers again guys, food now and back to it! :thumbup:

8. chopperoli Forum Member

I rejetted a 32/34 DMTL from 1.6 to 1.8 specs a few years ago, still have the old 1.6 jets & emulsion tubes somewhere I think

9. phuriousstyles New Member

Cheers will keep that in mind :thumbup: will see after a few days if i've hit lucky have to keep checking a plug see if that helps? but as for the difference its all :):):)'s, But seeing as nothing on my old pooburg was working correctly that's no real surprise! :lol:

10. phuriousstyles New Member

Well just a final report the car is running fantastic now its running the weber carb! bit tricky in the cold mornings but not to much drama, fuel economy is up which is most surprising seeing as im gettin everywhere much quicker now and even giving the corsa chav's a well deserved humilliating lol so too all those thinkin about gettin a weber and binning the pooburg STOP thinkin!!! :thumbup: