Weber DMTR, 1.8? I doubt it.

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by MacColl, Dec 6, 2010.

1. MacColl Forum Member

Probably a daft question, it's just I have a fully serviced DMTR on my Mk2 Polo that is loosing compression. Just picked up a Mk2 Scirocco an 89 pierburg'd 1.8 EX engine.

I know that the DMTR is very similar to the DMTL but I believe has smaller throat size for the 1.3 engines. Is there any way it can be re-jetted for a 1.8? or just wishful thinking. I just don't have cash for a DMTL.

I'm really just weighing up options as I'll be looking into servicing the pierburg, there are plenty guides about for these carbs and I've stripped the Weber before. I know they are far more complicated but are efficient when working 100%

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Sell the DMTR, they're not made anymore, so should command a good enough price to afford you a DMTL (certainly a good S/H one), or bits and pieces to fix up the Pierburg.

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

might know of a 1600 driver weber kit coming up for sensible cash soon if thats any use?

4. MacColl Forum Member

How you doing mate?

PM me a price if/when you can.

Unfortunately very skint right now just been thrown out of Uni (put on interruption) and not getting bloody benefit. Stupidly stuck the Scirocco purchase on a credit card in a mid life crisis kind of way. It's like any old 80's vw, going to need bits done. Trying to figure out what to prioritise. Already looking at fuel tank and rear beam refurb. Actually found your old thread on Rustoleum paint.

Don't really know what to do?

Polo's insurance is about to run out at which point when I can get the cash will start the Scirocco policy. The Polo will need new engine,maybe a head at the minimum. I could see me scrapping it and keeping/selling the good stuff like the GK inlet but not doing anything hasty. Selling the DMTR could be an option.

I have a mk2 Golf stripped and ready to weld which is now seriously on the back burner. Very tempted to sell the interior of that but no doubt would regret selling anything TBH.

5. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah ok mate..wont be for a few weeks as the owner is away

prob not what you want to hear...i recon the breadvan would be the cheapest to run about /insure etc ...50 should get you another lump to swap in and everything is fairly cheap to fix on them

6. MacColl Forum Member

Nice one thanks, a few weeks might see a financial change.

I hear what you are saying about the bready. At close to 6ft and with broad shoulders I am just starting to find the bready too small and not fun on longer drives. Driving the Scirocco home just made me realise what I have been missing. I've never even driven a MK2 Golf on the road! At my age the insurance is actually not much more, admittedly the tax is more but I really like Sciroccos, bit more of a statement on the road amongst the dullness of modern cars.

I will however keep an eye out for an engine for the bready. It's so bleak round here for parts most of the time then an entire car appears for pennies! Without the pressure of having it on the road I could maybe even do the ABD conversion. Would be fine as an extra car once I am earning. It's not in any way as tidy as your bready though.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010