Weber manual choke question

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by luke w, Jan 8, 2008.

1. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Recently the manual choke for my Weber 32/34 DTML has started to retract itself, even when the car is still stone cold, which is annoying when I approach a junction and the car stalls. It's never done this before, is it supposed to, if not, does anyone know whats causing it?

2. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

are you using the correct weber choke cable or a universal one from a motor factors?

3. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

The one that was provided with the kit. I've had it fitted for about 5 years and it's only recently been doing it.

4. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

I used to have a universal choke cable that went stiff. I bought a new genuine Weber cable for about 9 from www.fastroadcars.com. I found that the genuine cable would snap itself back in when under acceleration from a junction, so I had to hold the choke myself when setting off (probably only possible in an automatic).
    There is a spring behind the choke lever on the carb which helps the choke flap return to vertical, I had a play around with it position and tension to improve matters.
    Its a bit difficult and fiddly with the carb on the car though. I had the carb removed recently and found it much easier to reset this spring.

5. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Excellent, thanks for that, sounds exactly like what is happening to mine. Will check it out this weekend.

6. pigbladder Forum Addict

on mine the carb is sprung so that the choke will snap back to off incase the cable ever snaps

it relys on friction in the cable to stay on...i just bough a locking choke cable , a quick twist locks it in position 5 at the local shop

7. mattneck Forum Member

i managed to find an OEM one on ebay.. they are the same in the mk2 mk2 sciroccos jettas etc.. fit the dash gap perfect

8. mattneck Forum Member

oh and you can wire them up to a warning light which is part and parcel together with the dhandbrake light, but thats the problem.. its got a 2 pin plug on there.. so i dont know if its 12v into the switch one side, then 12v out to the light the other then down to ground on the second pin of the bulb.. the combined dahs light for HB and choke is available at VW to for about 12

9. pigbladder Forum Addict

whatd u pay for the oem one...ive been looking for one

any pics of the dash handle?

10. mattneck Forum Member

About 13 all in if i remember correctly, it was awhileago admitted. they have a solid single wire as wellso no fraying trouble going to happen there which is pretty nice. Ill try anddig up apicture. Might get a meter in the handle to and work out whats going on with the resistance at the 2 wires as i pull it.