Weber Problems

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by big nick, Mar 23, 2008.

1. big nick Forum Member

Hi guys,

I drive a mk2 golf 1272cc, and recentlly fitted a weber 32/34 DTML. It seemed OK until yesterday when the throttle felt like it was only opening about halfway. I had a look at the throttle linkage on the carb and the cable was connected properly, but would only open halfway with the pedal on the floor.

turns out the accelerator pedal itself had bent out of shape! anybody else had this happen? or know of a replacement pedal that might be a biit stronger? coz I have to walk everywhere until I get the damn thing sorted!

cheers guys,

2. Dono Forum Member

never heard of that before, and i give mine some stick, normally the little rubber grommet that holds the cable at the pedal end wears through, but i just turned mine round 180' i'd just go to the scrappys for another pedal.

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

bend the pedal back and find out what the prob is

must be a cable issue or something wrong with the carb linkage

4. big nick Forum Member

dono I know what you mean about the grommet, i've done that one before mate!

pigbladder - a new cable went on at the same time as the carb so i doubt its that, and the linkage seems ok, cable goes through a pin and is held in place by a grub screw, seems to move freely by hand after faffing around with it for a bit...

what worries me is that this isnt the first time its happened, i bent the pedal back once before and i just cant suss it out...

anyone know if the GTI pedal is the same or different as a 1.3 ryder pedal? i might even just fabricate a new peice out of something very strong and very heavy[:D]

thankyou please

5. big nick Forum Member

turns out it was the cable sticking - whipped it out, greased it up, stuck it back in and we're laughing!
    it's crazy, the biggest most pain in the ass problems, and you break out the tools and sort it on the hard shoulder, and a sticking throttle cable keeps you off the road a whole week!
    all sorted now though, cheers for your help guys...