Weber Questions

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by antinkariba, Dec 31, 2007.

1. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

I currently have a MK2 1.6 with a Pierberg 2e2. It runs fine with no problem as I have sorted out bits on it. I am wanting a bit more power out of my car and was thinking about a weber but I have a few questions as I know nothing about them...

Are they easy to fit?

Am I able to still use the existing air box?

I have read alot about carb icing and dont want to suffer from this is there anything that can be done to rectify this from the beginning?

apologies but i am just after some knowledge. What power would I gain from one as I am also fitting an 8V exhaust and was thinking about a GTI Cam?

Cheers

Ant

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

yes they use the orig air box

you can make sure all the manifold heating stuff is intact to help with carb icing...i think its more of a prob for those woth k&n filters

3. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Interesting. Now I am interested. I could always fit a panel filter into the original air box?

Whats the heal with the choke? I know that it becomes manual, is it easy to sort out and install?

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

theres a choke blanking plate in the dash..remove that and the kit will include the cable and bits to fit it

assuming you get the correct kit for your car its easy to fit and includes all the instruction etc

5. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Ay-up Ant,

Just make sure you get one (whether new or secondhand) with all the necessary bits and pieces like the adaptor plate that makes the top of the thing fit on the real airbox properly, and the bracket to hold the part-throttle heater. (And ideally also the choke cable). Otherwise it'll end up being expensive if you have to keep buying extra bits. Do check over the part-throttle heater from the 2e2, and transfer it onto the Weber, see recent threads/posts by gentlemen such as Dono and Ben S.

Not sure (but I think so) about whether the Weber fits on the same manifold mounting flange as the Pierburg, but it would be a sensible time to replace that if it's the original, as the rubber perishes with age and heat, causing airleaks. (I also happen to have a new, unused one of these ;) ).

Easy to fit all this, I'm led to believe; power gains, probably some, especially with better exhaust and cam. You're unlikely to suffer icing if the airbox is all working properly, and you have the little heater working away at stopping the lower bits of the carb getting too cold. :)

6. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Thanks Pete

The guy who has the weber has it already on a polished inlet manifold I am led to believe. I am hoping that he has all the bits. He works for VW so I think he said that he did. I am still up in the air about it... will have to see how things go. I might keep the 2E2 as I know its working properly and just do the cam and the exhaust. Its a tough one!!

7. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

The inside or the outside? :lol:

Either way, pretty much a waste of time from what I understand. But don't take too much notice of me, I'm still grumpy from a hangover acquired on Saturday!

8. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Well thats what I was thinking anyway. I might just get the carb off him and not the manifold. as I have a perfectly good one! I do believe that its polished both inside and out!

Don't apologies as I am not to sure on the weber side of things so any info to me is useful!

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I dont think you'll see any power advantage unless the 2e2 isnt working properly. However that being said the webber is easier to tune for the requirements of a wild cam for example, simply becasue you can re-jet em easy but try to find 2e2 jets and you'll be in for a tough time :lol:

However a guy of the golfgti forums ran his driver with a GTI cam on the stock 2e2 carb no trouble at all :thumbup:

10. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Interesting, I might see leave the 2E2 then. Mine is in great working order and on the rolling road that I did last year my car put out 89.8 bhp. And I have sorted out all the carb so its clean and working.... I guess I could stil change the cam, would that make any difference?

11. rubjonny

cam will make the engine more revvier, a GTI zaust system is also a great upgrade on its own :thumbup:
    Wheile you're there you need to make a new 6 degree BTDC mark on your flywheel, haynes has the procedure under 'changing the flywheel' look up the measurements for the 8v GTI EV lump. The flywheel timing check hole is big enough to fit something of a suitable size down, just tie a string round it so you dont drop it into the bellhousing :lol:

12. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Great. Will have to see if I go that far. As for the exhaust I have just purchased everything from VW to fit it and it only cost me 21.00!! I was pleased. I think that I might just keep the pierberg. Is there anyway that it can be tuned or is it not a tune able one? Also just out of curiosity will the car sound any different? I ideally want just a little deeper hum from it?

13. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

I have a full 8v GTI exhaust fitted to my 1600 driver. I find it annoyingly loud actually, but that could be because I got it secondhand and don't know the brand [:[]

14. rubjonny

I had a scorpion on my 1.6, sounded proper awesome but on the motorway it resonated like a b*tch :lol:

15. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Mine is a genuine 8V one with Germany stamped on it and the little audi circles on the back box. I hope mine sounds a little better.. Is it easy to fit by the way?

16. rubjonny

its only easy to fit if the old one comes apart :lol:

do you have the manifold & downpipe too, or are you using a 1.8 carby downpipe?

17. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

I have the entire thing.. the manifold and down pipe too. plus all the fittings etc and new gaskets and nuts coming too!

18. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Have you got parts ready for removing the inlet manifold too, I'd start by removing that so you have good access to the exhaust manifold (it might in fact be impossible to remove the exhaust manifold with the carb and inlet in place).

19. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Harder than impossible, I'd've thought.:lol: