weber repalces 2ee but sits backwards!!

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by dub-addict, Jun 8, 2011.

1. dub-addict Forum Member

Hi guys

My problem is that I have just bought a used weber of ebay to replace my pierburg 2ee (german import)

But when I tried fitting the weber it would only bolt on backwards, so basically the accel cable bracket was nearly touching the bulkhead.

I looked at all the options ,swapping the brackets around,then turning the carb around but the brackets would not bolt on the other side nor would they then line up!!

sounds slightly confusing lol

but basically it looks like the carb flange is backwards but it will only sit this way so it has to be something with the carb adapter brackets,

the previous owner of the Weber took it off a 1.6 2e mk2 golf so why am i having this annoying problem

If i turn the carb around and leave the adapter bolted tehen the accel cable bracket will offcourse still only be the other side facing the bulkhead
    DAMNNNM

Am I missing something?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

maybe you also need to change the inlet manifold for a normal carby one

3. dub-addict Forum Member

I had a weber on this before but I took it off when i got a better pierburg and that one bolten on just fine.
    the holes in the carb flage are backwards allowing the carb assembly only to bolt on that way.. I was starting to think i might be loosing my mind becaes everything looks exactly the same as lats time.. I only need this carb on there for another 3 more month or so then the 20vt will be ready to slot in.

Damn this

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

is it deffo the right webber, what model is it?

5. dub-addict Forum Member

According to the seller it came off a mk2 1.6 2e and mine is a 1.6 but the only thing i wont be able to use is my air filter box becasue tzhis one has a sort of filter on top of the car and it dosent have the top adapter for my air box assembly but everthyn down below is in place.

silly question.
    will the car not run if the heater element with the black wire is not plugged in?
    i havent fitted that yet and today i just reversed the carb flange and boleted it eather side
    dosent fit propperly but it might start

6. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

The little heater element on the front of the carburettor isn't essential in my experience but I think it's necessary in colder weather, otherwise you could experience carb icing. When we had carb Golf MK2s in the past, I always ensured that both (a) the little front heater element was in working order, and (b) the air duct from the exhaust manifold was present. Only having both in place would prevent carb icing.

Back to your main problem though, could you post some pictures of the bits and pieces please?

7. dub-addict Forum Member

8. dub-addict Forum Member

Thanks for the reply.

I will post up pics of it tomorrow during the day