Weber throttle linkage on a 2l 16v in a mk1

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by grim., Mar 30, 2012.

1. grim. New Member

Does anyone else have a problem with clearance to the bonnet?

I recently picked up an abandoned project that needs finishing off. Its already got an ABF 2l 16v fitted, and twin weber 40's with a proper weber twin throttle linkage already fitted to the carbs, or though not through the bulkhead and onto the pedal.

Its a long way off from being used, but the throttle linkage is fouling on the bonnet when its closed. I've ordered an under carb kit instead but this looks seriously awkward to fit in situ, and i'm sure i've seen people using the standard linkage kit on abf's before.

Have i got some wierd engine mounts perhaps?

[​IMG]

My next question, is what plate do people use to put twin cables through the bulkhead, or is it a case of making my own.

Finally, how have you lot fitted the twin cable block to the pedal? I can't weld...

Also I'm moving the pump... I don't think its meant to work as well so far from the tank.

2. fredybender Forum Member

Just use the stock cable from the Mk1:
    couple both carbs in the center with this sync link from red line Weber:

[​IMG]

And then take a piece of alloy & bend it like an angle Iron, to host the stock cable like so:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HTH
    Fred

3. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Looks good. I would (and have...) site the pump near the std injection pump, as pumps push, not pull, usually.
    Good luck, let us know what it goes like. Remember it will run crap till you balance them

4. jamez Forum Member

I reckon that the linkage is catching on the bracing on the underside of the bonnet, i think you can remove it and turn it around and fit it to the other carb, might solve the problem then you could shorted the linkage cables also.

correct that , turn it around and fit longer cables , yours is rhd after all..doh

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  5. grim. New Member

I hadn't even thought of putting it on the other carb! You're right, its just hitting the bracing on the underside of the bonnet. I've bought a couple of pieces that are supposed to turn this kit into an under the carb set up. They were pretty cheap and the chap was very helpful so i'm hopefull it should work. I was worried that the under linkage kit will foul on the alternator, but not if i fit it to the other carb... I shall look into this.

Haven't had much time to play around with the car recently but i'm going to be working on it in the evenings if the rain ever eases off.

Also thanks for the pics and advice fredy, i can see where you're coming from with that set up, but seeing as i already have about 90 quids worth of throttle linkage already fitted i'd like to try and utilise it if i can.