weber ticking noise

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by nhoj62, Nov 27, 2010.

1. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

right so the car has started to tick
    it is abit odd as it only does it with the engine under load, cruising or backing off it doesn't do it, i don't know what could be causing this, it have checked the engine over for loose bits rattling around and everything is tight, so any help with the weber for potential things that could be loose or vibrate when on the throttle.
    and it is a mk2 golf 8v 1800
    cheers

john

2. jamez Forum Member

are you sure that its not knock you are hearing, pre-ignition.. retard the ignition a few degrees and see if its gone.If you have just fitted the carb it may be fueling more under acceleration than the original carb, causing the knock.

3. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

it is not fueling or ignition i don't think as it is a tick not a knock
    the weber has been on the new engine for about two months now i did the timing about three weeks ago and it has only started making the noise this week, i checked the dizzy and it has not moved it ain't tappets because that would be all the time and it is not the speedo cable as that is a very quiet tick drowned out by this new tick, the C02 was set at the local garage near to work and the diel was set at the same time and it was pretty much perfect.
    so any other ideas?
    cheers
    john

4. danster Forum Addict

Can you run it with the airbox removed and see if it is the choke mechanism flapping about. They are meant to be spring loaded to allow extra air in when the throttle is opened.
    Can you get the noise by slowly increasing the revs in neutral? That way you could stand and watch to see if you can identify where the noise is coming from.

5. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

i did check the choke return spring as that is on the outside of the carb so easy to spot, choke doesn't move when revving the engine, i am begining to wonder if it is a bad batch of fuel or just because it is so flippin cold!

6. danster Forum Addict

It might be something to do with the warm air intake system.
    It will certainly be needing a blend of hot air from the exhaust manifold heat shroud seeing it is so cold at the moment.
    Are you running the complete std carb airbox assembly?

7. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

right so been out working on the thing was poking round the back of the weber to make sure nothing was coming adrift only for a loose exhaust manifold nut to catch my eye and not only one of them but two on the same branch so all of them got checked and one other was found to be working loose, all where duly tightened and the car taken for a quick whizz round the block and ticking noise all gone!, thank god for that i was getting seriously worried the engine would let go.
    so thanks for everyones help with all the pointers on where to look, much appreciated!
    cheers
    john

8. danster Forum Addict

:lol:

I was actually going to suggest a blowing exhaust to start with. But this is the carb section and did not want to be off topic. ;)

9. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

lol not sure it would be off topic as it is related the two things being directly next to each other i think you could have got away with it you know.