weber to$$

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by redbaron, Mar 30, 2007.

1. redbaron Forum Member

Im at a wits end.

Fitted a weber replacement carb to a mates 90 cabby 1.8 in place of the usual 2e2 jobby. The Weber was a second hand unit of apparent low mileage albeit jetted for a 1.6 golf. I plonked it on and sure enough it ran but wouldnt pull into the higher revs as you would expect being jetted wrong.

Have now fitted the correct jets (4 of them as you look down into carb from the front of the car) as per the manual for a 1.8.

It runs (just!) but like a bag o ****e below 2.5k rpm, running really rich (sooty plugs) and the choke just kills it. It pulls well once going but will not idle (just drops off and dies) and smokes black like a goodun (lost a few years off my life breathing in that cack all day!).

Any ideas? Ive tried using leaner primary jets but no use, a bit better but not much.

Where is the Idle jet? is it inside somewhere? I cant understand how its so wrong!!! The mixture screw does feck all also.

Argh! a 10 minute job that wont go away! [xx(]

2. Alfa_Delta Forum Member

I've seen emulsion tubes fitted upside down in these before...

3. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

If you've done all four jets you must have changed the idle one. I'm pretty sure they are primary main, primary idle, secondary main and secondary idle. The haynes manual that covers DMTL carbs will tell you for sure.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  4. GBK

gbk Paid Member Paid Member

Is it the same with the mixture screw all the way in?