webers on abf

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by speedygti8v, Nov 2, 2006.

1. speedygti8v

speedygti8v Forum Member

i am putting twin webers on my abf engine to put in mk2 gti the question is what do i do with the ignition side of things some one surgested a polo vacuum dizzy but after searching on here that doesn't look like a good idea or do i use a mk2 16v ecu and dizzy or any other surgestions

2. shane d Forum Member

Hello. Not trying to hijack your thread or anything:) But i've been following your ABF threads as i too am about to install an ABF in a mk2. Are you using webbers because it won't run on Injection??? Cheers, Shane

3. Fenn Forum Member

if you have the time and about 200 then you can set up a 3D mapable ignition system called megajolt. you can have any advance at any given rpm/throttle postition all changed via a lap top. i have a carbed 8v and couldn't get the standard dizzy to work very well at all. so installed megajolt and have never looked back. the hardest part is mounting a trigger wheel on the crank pully but after that it's easy.

4. speedygti8v

speedygti8v Forum Member

basically yes i have a electric fault somewhere that me and my auto electrician mate can't find and nobody on here seems to know what it is. this is to do with my loom and electrical components not the actual conversion and i thought it would be easier to fit webers 40's or 45's and something like megajolt or megasquirt plus i love carbs and always wanted to do a twin weber conversion on something so didn't need much persueding:lol: the actul conversion is dead easy took me about 2 days to remove the old 8v stick the 16v in and get it wired up just couldn't get it to spark evenly[:^(]

5. speedygti8v

speedygti8v Forum Member

how hard was the install to do fitting/mapping? did you map it yourself? sounds like just what i need where can i buy it from?

6. Fenn Forum Member

basically after a bit of research it took me about a day to install the whole system including mounting the wheel, making brackets for the VR/crank wheel sensor and throttle position sensor.

this is the web site with a basic diagram of the system. you need to set up EDIS 4 from a ford (i have all the edis kit if you need it) get it running with out the MJLJ unit attached and it will be in the 'safe' mode which is 10 degrees across the rev range(when the sensor is in the right position) then plug the unit in and map it. i used a basic map from the site and mapped it on the fly with my GF driving. i just advances the timing by 2 degrees at a time and lisened for pinking. when you hear it, back it of by 2 degrees.

i was amazed at the difference it made. pulled harder and cleaner from off idle and i got better MPG!

it also has adjustable rev limit and programmable outputs for shift lights, etc.

screen shot of mapping screen

pm me if you would like some more info. i have loads more pic's of the install. you can get the unit from the USA from the inventor or there are people in the UK that sell them for about 80

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  7. speedygti8v

speedygti8v Forum Member

can i not use my dizzy,coil and crank sensor then?

8. Fenn Forum Member

no mate, it's designed to run off EDIS 4 with a waste spark coil pack. if you use a late zetec coil pack you can use you VW leads.

9. speedygti8v

speedygti8v Forum Member

kenn can you empty your pm box:lol:

10. Fenn Forum Member

done.

mail me if you like?