Welding jack point help

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Mk2Singh, May 1, 2023.

1. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Finally getting around to looking at the rotten jacking point on the drivers side
    20230501_151110.jpg
    Cut out around it:
    20230501_160505.jpg

20230501_161423.jpg

Im thinking to buy the repair panel from Heritage so that I can keep the depressions etc. Was thinking to just weld in a flat piece but seeing as the bad bit is bigger than the flatter area ideally I would like it oem as possible. What do you guys think?

Other areas I found were:
    20230501_160453~2.jpg
    I could probably try to weld up the smaller holes in the jack point panel but the panel behind which is the sill closing panel im not sure what to do.
    I could cut the overlapping part off the jack point panel and cut a section from the repair panel and patch that in and I could do the same with the sill closing panel if I was to buy one of those aswell. I also have a hole further back on the sill closing panel near the rear wheel arch so this repair panel could also be used there.

Also the bolt for the wing from underneath is just spinning around. How do I fix this?

Outer sill looks to be savable?
    20230501_151122.jpg

Ive now coated all the pitted areas with some Bilt hamber Hydrate 80 while I figure out how to approach it.
    What would you guys do with repairing these and any tips on doing the job?

Much appreciated :)

Last edited: May 1, 2023
    Richard Mk2 likes this.
  2. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Your first images could've been taken of my car, they're so similar.

The Heritage repair piece isn't an exact match to the original, but then who's going to notice!

Be aware that, that cavity is just full of wax. I took out the circular tin plate you can see in both our images to give access to someone with a water spray and douse things when they lit up.

This is how I did it - by spot welding the new nose to the pre-drilled flat plate in advance of offering the whole thing up to the floor pan...

a.JPG
    b.JPG
    c.JPG
    d.JPG

erreesse and Richard Mk2 like this.
  3. watercooled Forum Member

Wow nice work,certainly not easy areas to work on.

4. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Nice work. I was thinking to just weld in a flat piece aswell but your damaged area looks smaller than the damage on mine. I think im more unsure on how to approach the smaller hole areas

5. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I replaced the full panels with the VW Heritage parts, really good fit.

Had to take them out and repair the floor first mind!.

20221017_154522.jpg 20221114_120545.jpg 20230219_155548.jpg

erreesse likes this.
  6. Mk2Singh Forum Member

That looks good! Is that panel spot welded to the outer sill along the sill edge or is it just a touch fit but without any welding? Where the two flanges on the repair panel and sill panel meet

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep those repro panels are really excellent, I have a genuine and pattern one and you're hard pressed to see a difference between them

8. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Sill to panel were spot welded eventually, was a work in progress in that picture!.

There are a few panels sandwiched together at the front corners.

I built both sides up with 3mm angle iron, you can jack the side of the car up from the middle of the sill now..

Last edited: May 3, 2023
  9. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Okay cool, was the spot/plug welding done from the repair panel side? I was trying to see if I could see the factory spot welds along the sill lip in my last photo but couldnt make anything out. Did you seam seal this flange aswell where the two panels meet at the sill flange? I saw you can get seam sealer which can be welded through while its still "wet" so would be ideal for this flange

10. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I used weld through Zinc Primer before welding.

I ended up drilling from the outside of the sill lip through the panels (just touching the jacking panel) and plug welded them all together.

The Jacking Panel is plug welded along the sill lip, so you would do the same with the new panel if the rest of the corner is in good shape. Mine wasn't so had to reconstruct it.

There's a chap on YouTube that has done some repairs to a MK2 and shows some good shots with sills removed etc, will post a link later.

11. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Ah okay, Yea the lip on the sill outer is abit rough on my car so not sure if Ill be able to drill out the current spot welds and then create new ones to attach the full repair jacking panel unless I also repair the outer sill panel along the lip. Im hoping I can just cut the area where the hole is a patch it in on the sill closing panel underneath the jacking panel

Would be good to see the youtube link, Please share when you can :)

12. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Hello, his channel on YouTube is "Sean Martin's R&C"

If you're that far in it's worth chopping all the rust out and repairing while the welder and tools are out.

13. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Thanks, Ive seen his videos, gives a good idea.

So I did exactly that and kept "investigating" what I thought looked suspect and now I have a bigger void lol
    20230507_152448.jpg

20230507_152530.jpg
    Decided to unpick the panel so that I can use majority of the replacement panel

Struggled with the spot welds as you can see. Ended up going through into the floor which ive now got to figure out how to weld up! But this also revealed some areas in the floor that were thin because of corrosion making its way to it.

20230507_152553.jpg

Took a look at the outer sill and this too was rotten under the lower return. The undercoating was hiding it. Havent cut it out yet but I think ill cut a patch out up until the bit under the wing and use a section out a repair panel which I need to order

The inner sill looks to be good. I think ill have to create a new lip along the bottom edge though once ive cut the rot off the outer sill.

I just hope I can sort it!
    Any tips or advice would be appreciated from you guys :)

KeithMac likes this.
  14. KeithMac Forum Junkie

My entire lip where the sill was supposed to weld to was missing, that's why I went down the angle iron route.

Have a look at some "Yorkshire Car Resoration" videos. They are good to show how to tackle multiple panel repairs.

This is my thread up on another site, pictures may be helpful. There's a lot of knowledgeable people on there too for some pointers.

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/golf.124285/

15. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Wow just checked your thread, Amazing work! I see the angle iron now. So you used it to replace the inner sill lip edge? 16v G60 will be awesome!

Im currently following "Yorkshire Car Resoration" 911 build. Really cool build.

Thats for your help :)

16. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Yep it runs the full length of the sill, welded to the floor first and tied into the rear wheel buckets.

I welded the inner supports etc then fitted the sill.

A bit overkill but decided it would give me a nice solid repair,