Welding

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by SplatterHaus, Dec 11, 2007.

1. SplatterHaus Forum Addict

Does anyone on here do there own welding?

I wouldnt mind having a go and would be interested to learn how to do a few things. I.e. weld up bits of exhaust and I have some ally intercooler piping that I need to cut and weld etc.

What kind of welder would you need for this job? And would some of the cheap basic ones from machine mart or something like that be ok for these small jobs?

Main reason for this is my E30 turbo project is costing me a bomb in custom exhaust work and havent even started with the intercooler piping. But I do have a lot of piping that I can practise on and try and learn. So would love to have a go. Plus I think Id get a lot more out of it if I could learn a new skill and put it to good use.

Thanks in advance for any advise and tips.

2. prof Forum Addict

you'll make a right ar5e of welding pipes if you are a beginner, so if you want it to flow at all well then get it done by a pro

bodywork is relatively easy, but it may be worth trying to find some night classes on it

3. SplatterHaus Forum Addict

Think they do classes at thurrock college so will look into this, but its defo a skill i'd like to learn.

4. prof Forum Addict

it's very handy, you could easily weld brackets to pipes etc, but you'd likely blow through butt joints and have all hairy bits of wire on the inside of the pipes.

best investment is a mask that darkens itself-solarglass?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  5. Nordoff Forum Junkie

If y're starting with one of those cheap welders, try ebay.
    A lot of people think they'll take up welding, buy all the kit and try it maybe 5 times then give up.
    I got my present welder for 40 this way.

then phone some local engineering workshops and ask if they've got any offcuts y' can have and practise on them first.
    Oh and whether it's flip down or auto darkening a welding mask you don't need to hold in one hand makes it a lot easier as you have another hand free to steady yourself.

6. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Also welding aluminium is VERY different to welding steel, you will need different gas torch wire etc. I would imagine on an ally intercooler pipe you would want a tig set but this is v. difficile especially for a beginner. I would suggest you either borrow someones kit or go somewhere you can have a go at welding before you shell out loads of money on kit. Speed glass is a wise investment though it makes the job sooooooo much easier!!!

7. SplatterHaus Forum Addict

Cheers for the replys guys, its something im defo going to look into doing, or getting a better idea of.

Thanks