"Went for a drive"

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Teddy, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Teddy

Teddy CGTI Regional Host

This got me thinking yesterday.

Been driving around the Cotswolds all weekend in the other Half's Mk4 GT Tdi, 300 miles covered, car lapped it up, but after my previous thread, i think i have answered my own question about getting a Mk4.

Got home yesterday evening, shattered.
    Other half was staying at her parents rather than at home (its half way to uni) so i was left in the house on my tod.

Sun was setting, really pleasant evening. I had cleaned my Mk3 GTi before we had gone away, i released that it really is a good looking car (In my eyes)
    I picked up my keys to move them out of the way, as i grasped the keys in my hand, i looked out the window at my car. I don't know what it was, but it was begging to be driven. I realised I had really missed my car (not unusual). I looked the other way at the washing and ironing etc that needed doing.

Thought "Sod it, im going for a drive" I didn't know where, I didn't know why.

Got in the car, put the windows down and fired up the cd player.
    Started the car, I started to notice things with the car that i hadn't really taken much notice off in recent times. I have been so reliant on the car (living in the sticks) I get in it and drive it to work, to football, to the parents whatever.

That "GTi" noise, unmistakeable, the burble from the exhaust, the purposeful note.
    Pulled off the driveway, drove up the road nice and slow out of the village. No traffic, National speed limit sign approaching followed by a hard right, pass the national speed limit sign, nail the throttle, car bursts into life, sweep round the bend and up and out the village. Im free, the car is free.

After 20 mins, i stop for a cigarette. Get out the car, step back. Engine still running. Its purposeful burble still reminiscent. It didn't care. It was toying with me "that all you got?"

Got back in and proceeded to drive for another hour, totally lost track of time.
    It was at this point, this is the GTi playground. fast A road, twisty B road, its what its all about.

I arrived back home and locked up. As i walked back to the house i couldn't help but turn back and have a look at the car, as i was unlocking the door. The car sat purposefully, not even out of breath, but knowing it had been used as intended was very satisfying indeed.

I have always been a car enthusiast. I love VW's, I love my VW, but i had fallen victim to "The rat race" the get in a just drive squad.

I still don't know what made me do it - but my god it felt good :)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  2. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Very emotional.:lol: :clap:

3. Admin Guest

you created a north shire track yet?

4. Teddy

Teddy CGTI Regional Host

You know its emotinal! :)

Jon - huh?

5. kerrly Forum Member

so now that you have revived your love for a mk3 get a proper one:lol:
    ive pm'd you about the brochures - send me your email addy as i have them!

6. deepdishtj Forum Member

im the same, i just have to drive my car the noise, the feel, the smell, everything about it! i am one of the sad people that just drives to drive:lol:

7. dubcheryl Forum Member

I did that a week or so ago, boyfriend was working lates, and i needed to go out and get petrol, the whole (usually 20miute) journey took an hour and a half! Ended up on my favourite road near Street that goes up and down and round left then right - It was just soo much fun I took the longest route possible home, but thats what owning a GTI is all about [:D]

8. ihaveajetta Forum Member

i havent gone for a drive in ages, i just cruise about aimlessly and get bored

9. Admin Guest

favourite route round the mighty northbeds roads?

10. N/B

N/B Forum Member

I was expecting the last line to say

Offers over 1200

Nice li'l ode there fella ;)

11. Dubmuffin Forum Member

Awwww :p
    A friend and I were actually on about this the other day. You have to just take your car out for no real purpose sometimes to remember what driving is all about.

12. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

nice write up... driving on your own for no reason is the best sometimes... 5am on a sunday morning is the time i go

13. Teddy

Teddy CGTI Regional Host

Got ya :lol:
    Passed through Risley actually, Sharnbrook, Odell, Poddington, then almost ended up in Luton, cut down towards the Barton cutting. :lol: Was really shatted at that point, so made a route home :)

14. Teddy

Teddy CGTI Regional Host

Not quite the same, but many years ago, a friend and I were bored after a night out and didnt want to go home (about 3am) so we drove to London, driving about when its quiet is ace. Saw all the sites, no one around!
    Good times!

15. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

driving in towns when they are deserted is ace, always remember the advert for the saab aero estate where the guy drives around when everyone else is watching the footy.... looked like great fun

16. Teddy

Teddy CGTI Regional Host

To be perfectly honest, I was watching a re-run of a top gear episode, where JC drives the then new Merc, SL AMG (i think) he talked about just driving etc. Must have been playing on my mind.

I wont take the roads, and car for granted again. Its a privaledge, and i intend to use it :)

17. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

and mk3's are better than mk4's.... thanks for clearing that one up teddy :lol:

18. Teddy

Teddy CGTI Regional Host

No probs at all :lol:

19. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

what mk3 can you get excited about?

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

At the extreme, this:

[​IMG]
    Lap of the 'Ring, chasing an M5. 220+bhp VR6. Exciting enough to have me hanging onto the belts.

Just a Mk3 road car, that got a little hard-core.