Went out in a Corrado vr6 storm today..

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by Joe_Gti, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Joe_Gti Forum Member

mmm.

I traded in my mk3 cab for my work mates VR6 Corrado VR6 today. I had never paid much attention to Corrados up to now because I just dont really think much of the styling. Too blocky and dated. However I think I may soon be a convert.

The car was totally standard other then wheels and window tinting. First impressions of getting into the car were - wow this really is a sports car. The seating position is totally different to that of a mk3 gti/cab. You sit firmly back in those black leather lovelies and just enjoy the corners. There are also to decent sized seats in the back which is also rare for this type of car. The front electric window buttons are by your feet / supra style - weird but cool!

Driving. The engine sits there at idle and purrs quietly. And if driven slowly can be almost silent. When you open your throttle at about (i think) 4000 revs the car totally transforms and screams so loudly it verges on hammering in your head (and this is totally standard). But the noise is so sweet. It is lush. Tempting to buy one just for that noise lol.

The car handles like its on rails"". I've never been in a car that fits that caption so perfectly. No body roll. Just business. The braking is also superb.

Also of note is the carzy porche style spoiler. After about 30 mph that baby lifts up, and its so cool to see it moving behind you.

The power is lovely, (sorry to come back but poo), at only (only??) 190 bhp it just pulls and pulls and doesnt seem to run out of steam. With a couple of his mates in the car he reckons he held an indicated 150 mph and it still wanted to keep dragging. The only other decently fast power car (not hot hatch bullpoo) ive been in and can compare it to is a friends 320 bhp S14a. And where the s14 pummels you into your seat so you can hardly even wriggle, the standard corrado does and damn convincing job of the same seat pinning antics as well. And to really take the urine on long journeys he can rack up 38/40 mpg out of this car where i can only get the same from my 2.0..

Anyway. Yes, bloody nice car. And he got his storm for 4 k , @ 90 thousand miles.

Sweet. Anybody else tried out a corrado?
    Edited by: Cabrio

2. Jeff Forum Junkie

yup, love em to bits! I had a g60, and now I have a vr6 engine in ralye golf I know whats so special about the vr too [:D]

3. superden Forum Addict

Always fancied a `Rado but I`m not interested in paying the premium for one.

I`ll stick with my Mk2`s :)

4. Joe_Gti Forum Member

Hmm.

One of these vr6's in a mk2? Ouch lol that has GOT to be fun. Fancy taking me out for a drivem 8 ? Go on ;)

Superden yep matey, said it was grp 18-20 with most places. A bit steep, but he is 24 with 4 yrs / no claims Fully comp. With his 10 % VW discount with adrian flux and he pays 600 a year.

5. superden Forum Addict

Well my 16v is 187 a year (26 with 6 years NCB).

My valver gives me more than enough performance as a daily driver.

I dont see the point in spending more money for a car I wouldnt really use to its potential :)
    Edited by: superden

6. Joe_Gti Forum Member

thats fair enough mate, but even if I had to do hte mothers school run everyday id rather be burning petrol in a supra rather then my cab :)

7. superden Forum Addict

Supra ? Oh my god - *hands cabrio the red card* :lol: [xx(]

8. Claypole Forum Junkie

Tried one out for 18 months before the police took it off me... [:^(] (speeding).

I'd have another one like a shot for the engine and the fact it's not in a blobby Golf shell. ;) :lol:

9. Jeff Forum Junkie

if and when it gets running again with its turbo... [:D]

10. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Corrado VR6, the best car VW ever made.

11. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I entirely agree. Just waiting till they come down to the 500 price range, then I'll have one.... :lol:

12. Jeff Forum Junkie

have to agree with that, having sampled the chassis (with similar power) and the engine seperately :thumbup:

13. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

:lol: I pay 5 times that and I'm two years older.... :lol:

14. Torquey Forum Member

Stop it. [:x] [:x] [:x] I am currently trying to talk myself out of buying one [:x] [:x] [:x]

Not going to work though is it [:s] [:s]

15. Admin Guest

i want one too! [:D]

16. Joe_Gti Forum Member

i think if you bought one you really wouldnt be dissapointed!

Lovely Lovely.

And yes I am a supra fan,there wicked cars [:$]

17. Baj MK2 VR Forum Member

:thumbup: [:*:] [:^:]
    I cant get enough of the engine noise. ;)

18. Brando New Member

I have a 2l 16v (9A) and the handling out does alot of the other cars I have driven :).

Utterly owned my friends mk4 pd150 golf in the twisties on the way back from a recent surf trip in Croyde! It just amazes me how it goes in to corners so flatly and comes out the same even under hard acceleration (well as hard as you can with a 9A lump ), all I could see in my rear views was his car pitching in and rolling LOADS!

19. Joe_Gti Forum Member

What is the cars performance like with non vr6 engines out of curiosity ?

20. Brando New Member

Enough for me as a daily driver really... VW have it as 9.2 seconds to 60 and 137bhp. But the run was apparently done with 2 adults in the car, 100kg of luggage and a full tank of fuel.

I think it's 8.5 without the extra person and luggage. I have driven in convoy many times with a mk4 1.8t and a mk4 pd150 and kept up easily enough, they are both 8.5 140-150 bhp cars.

The original 1.8 16v (-cat, upto j-reg 92 [I think]) is listed as 8.5 to 60 to and it's the same gearbox and bhp.

It's not really the whole story as it can't hit 60 in 2nd, so you have the time taken to go into 3rd too. On the road in gear acceleration feels great especially from 3500-4000rpm onwards (on cam and accompanyed by a luvly noise!).

But obviously it is nothing compared to the VR, never been out in a g60 either sorry so can't compare it to that.

Edit: I would of luved a VR but I am only 22 :/, with an sp30 and 5 years no claims. So it wasn't really doable last year!
    Edited by: Brando