Went through flood - car won't start

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by herb-16v, Nov 2, 2009.

1. herb-16v New Member

Had some bad weather round my end. I come round a corner and was abit of a flood that I never seen I went through it and now the car wont start. Just keeps turning over. I have fuel and a spark but wont fire up [:x]

2. Supercharged Forum Member

What car do you have?

How deep was it - did water get into the engine?

3. herb-16v New Member

Got golf gti 8v 1997. I would not say was deep about 8 inches deep. engine was still running after I went through it I then parked up come out few hour later and its just turning over I have the spark and the fuel there still.

I was looking round the net last night and on a few places that they had same thing as me and they say the speed sensor will have little cracks in the wire and water has got on to them. so i dunno if to try there first..

4. herb-16v New Member

new speed sensor on now and the car starts. but go to rev it sound like its missing and then go fine but some time just cuts out. any one no what this mite be now?

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

You`ve probably got water in a few connections.

Go round checking every plug, one by one, and giving them a quick squirt of electrical contact cleaner.

6. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

This happened to me before a few years ago the culprit was the coil to dizzy lead apparently quite a common fault.

Don't know how true that is but give it a go. I had to replace mine.