What’s the best way to go 2.0 with G60?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by darnold4, Aug 29, 2004.

1. darnold4 Forum Member

All,

What's the best way to go 2.0 with G60?

I've read all sorts of stuff about boring out the PG block, fitting appropriate crank, rods and pistons.

but also I've heard mention of hybrid PG/ABF units (presumably still requiring different crank, rods and LC pistons)

what's the best way to go, what are the pitfalls/benefits etc?

any tips (other than "use a 1.8t instead") gratefully received!

ta.

2. Andy947 Forum Addict

Had always read that 2.0 on a G60 was a bit of a waste of time as the Glader aint up to flowing enoguh air.... [:s]

3. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Maybe an 8v 2l bottom end and 16v head? Deffo gives the right compression (between 8-8.5:1). Other things to consider are offset bushed conrods, low comp pistons, stacked head gaskets or try a copper spacer gasket like me and Trev? A G60 ;with smaller pulley should flow more than enough, the 2l 16v is the engine of choice on the 16vG60 yahoo group.

4. andymark1 Forum Member

Go for a 2.1 ;) & yes the G-lader is up to the job!!but the only prob is that a G60 does run hot so you would need a bigger rad & go for kenlow fans.
    Ok here we go
    Over bored 2.1 litre G60
    ,82.5mm bore,
    kolben schmidt forged pistons,lighted and balanced rods,
    long trow diesel crank,
    larger crankshaft pulley,
    smaller water pump pulley,
    stage four supercharger upgrade with heavy duty oil & apex seals & ported flowed & anti friction coated internals,with a 63mm pulley,
    competition clutch,
    baffled sump,
    mocal oil cooler,
    gas flowed & ported big valve head,
    long duration Group-A cam,
    solid tappets,
    fully ported & flowed inlet manifold,
    re-profiled trottle body,
    grey injectors,
    fifth injector conversion,
    3 bar fuel pressure regulator,
    custom radiator with porsche boxster cooling fan(kenlow fan),
    K&N air panel filter,
    power toque stainless steel cat bypass pipe,
    power torque stainless steel exhaust,
    heavy duty engine mounts

Hope this helps, you if you get stuck give power engineering a ring in Uxbridge

Edited by: andymark1

5. darnold4 Forum Member

thanks for the tips guys.

pretty much what I thought, although I've not really thought about the 2.1 I reckon the 2.0 should give me a bore/stroke ratio similar to the 1.8....not sure if this makes a difference or not.....

anyone have any idea about the rebored PG vs ABF question?

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Reboared PG will get you to 1.9, you`ll need a crank to go 2l so you may as well just go for the ABF in the first place, plus the 16 valves will make better use of the charger ;)

7. alby Forum Junkie

my mate has a bored g60 block with reground crank on edition 38 classifieds cheap ;)

8. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

TSR do a 2 litre G60 conversion. Maybe you should ask them how they do theirs.

9. darnold4 Forum Member

I thought the tsr was just a 95.5 1.9 diesel crank in a 1.8 block, getting the extra capacity from stroke alone (correct me if I'm wrong!)

Stealth use EIP oversized pistons and 92.8 (?) 2.0 crank in a bored-out PG block, getting the extra capacity from bore AND stroke.

what I'm trying to find out is if you can use any VAG 2.0 block as a replacement for the bored-out PG; you'd still need funky pistons etc but maybe you could save on the re-boring......

but are any VAG 2.0 blocks suitable for supercharging in the same way the PG is?

10. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Fit 2 g60's ...

1 doesn't flow enough air to satisfy 2 ltr swept vol....

11. darnold4 Forum Member

this has been said on here at least twice now....where are the calculations?

surely (notwithstanding temperature increases) if you fit even a slightly smaller pulley you get a greater volume of air per second out of the charger?

maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here.....

12. Polog4tracer Forum Member

PG block does not have oil squirters (why on earth not I dont know?!). Where as the 1.8 8v from a mk3 golf (sorry dont kow what engine it is) does and can be bored out to 1940cc. The 2.0 8v again does not have oil squirters essential for piston cooling.

This is what ive been informed to do by Race Power Motorsport, and what I intend to do with my Corrado G60 when the engine needs rebuilding next year, something not too extreme, just nice and pokey.

13. Rallye Forum Junkie

just get a stock 2.0 8v xflow, stack some gaskits to lower the CR.

X flow and 2.0 then

14. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

The 3 2E blocks in my garage must have been built specially, then. Oil squirters all round.

15. voodooelie Forum Member

16. darnold4 Forum Member

Guys there are a couple of problems with any 16v, 20v, or crossflow 8v g60 in a RHD car!

rhd means no rear-mount alternator, I believe.

I know what you're going to say, but being a tart I will also be installing an AC system, which means the traditional alternative alternator mounting location below the G-lader will not be possible (ac compressor in the way.

so unless I come up with some funky Peugeot 305-style belt arrangement I don't reckon it would all fit.

question remains:

bored out PG or use a 2.0 block?

all helpful advice gratefully received!