What BHP on my Mk2 GTI 8v from....

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Black-Mk2-GTI, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Black-Mk2-GTI Forum Member

I wanna get a tiny bit more poke out of my digifant Mk2 Golf GTI 8v, and wondered what these few things would give me power wise...

1.Full Mongoose exhaust system
    2.Modded airbox with K&N panel filter
    3.TSR exhaust manifold
    4.ECU Chip *Possibly if they work*

...and then get it rolling road tuned and running properly. Would this make my car as quick as a Mk2 with 2.0 8v 115bhp engine? Just want it faster then my mums! [:D]
    Edited by: Black-Mk2-GTI

2. chrismc Forum Junkie

120-125atfw tops... [:^(]

A lot of outlay for not much extra poke. Should see 125lbs/ft though!

3. atkinss Forum Member

Instead of the TSR manifold (approx. 265), which it is also recommended to have better engine mounts (vibratech etc. approx 140) with. You would see more power gain from a fast road cam and vernier pulley (approx. 300), for example. Especially as your going to get it rolling roaded afterwards. You would have to give it more revs though to get the most out of it, although some allowance for where the power/ torque is can be made by adjusting the vernier pulley on the rolling road.

Just a thought.

Cheers

4. Jettin' Forum Member

Yeah I can say that a cam and tune up is probably your best bet, 285 duration if you are brave enough. The other thing thats going to help is a 2L bottom end.

5. royalblue16v Forum Member

Yep, first things first - 2l bottom end. Cheapest way to a faster 8v. Then your exhaust, cams etc. Chip comes last, btw. It optimises your engine map, so if you do that and then change your engine, you have to do it again...

And the power figure isn't as important as the torque figure. Torque gives you acceleration, power top speed. Acceleration is what makes all the difference on the road, therefore go 2l. Not that expensive, either.

6. royalblue16v Forum Member

BTW, the chips do work - they smooth out the power delivery very well, and don't shut off the gas as quickly as the standard map does - which means you get much better throttle control.

7. chrismc Forum Junkie

All it does it match fuelling to your mods & sorts out the overrun fuel cut off..

Instead of a complete cut of fuel it schedules a small amount to still flow, allowing for less lag/hesitation going on/ff the throttle ( A common digifant problem!)

If you do go 2L, when you get the head done be sure to go for 35mm exhaust valves. If you dont you wil never make decent power & it wont rev well at all, never mind what cam/manifold/exhaust you use! ;)

8. Rahul Forum Junkie

chris and his exhaust valves!

youre loving it!

And i would be as well with that power :clap:

See you on the strip at inters ;) :lol: :lol:

9. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Aye done the head but left std exhaust valves [:$] [xx(] [:^(] Its gonna have to come off again...[:s]

10. Black-Mk2-GTI Forum Member

How much would it cost to get a 2litre bottom end? I'm not up to fitting it as I have no engine hoist to take the engine out...if thats whats needed?! and my old man who could do it lives too far away to help. Thats why I just put some simple engine mods, already got the exhaust and filter waiting to go on, and chip I saw on ebay was 50 so cheap and the manifold I could prob do myself. Cam would need a professional installation rite? How much has it cost any of you lot to get a cam and pulley installed?

With an exhaust, modded airbox/filter, Piper cam/pulley and chip what BHP would that stretch me to? Would it make my car 'fast' or just slightly improve things?! [:[]

Before I get this done I either gotta get a re-con head or get some valve stem seals and a gasket kit and replace them cos my car at times has smoked like a steam train