What Brakes For Mk2 20v - Update!

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Richard Mk2, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Well, hopefully im going to have the 20v engine in by xmas, fingers crossed, and need some info on what brakes to go for, as the GTi 239's up front will not be up for the job!

What would be the best / recommended setup to go for ? Will Mk2 16v fronts with pricey discs and pads be up for the job ?

As my Mk2 was previously a 1.8 driver, it still has the rear drums. The good thing is that i have a 16v rear beam with the compensator ready to bolt on.
    I still need to find calipers ect for the rear beam so what should i go for ?

Ive never really uprated brakes on any of my Mk2's, so any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers :thumbup:

2. challice Forum Member

I had 16v set up good discs/pads/braided hoses an they lasted 2-3wks...

Then ran hispec 4pots with 285 discs an they weren't worth the money an were ill fitting...

Know use brembo 4pots with 305 discs an they are 100% worth it, downside is getting wheels to clear the calipers...

You also have the option of G60 set up but I don't know if they are any good...

With rear brakes just mk4 golf calipers an std pads will be fine...

Braided hoses all round too with 5.1 fluid...

3. turbotommy Forum Member

I'd say G60 on the front as a minimum really,look into an ibiza cupra/focus master cylinder (i make the spacers for them when i have the time) but it will solve the head hitting your old one too aswell as being an upgrade.
    For the rear,mk3 calipers are fine,you can use mk4's but they require mk2/3 caliper carrier's to solve the off-set and banjo brake hoses (available off the shelf from C&R Enterprises though)
    There are a couple of more options but these are the simple ones that will give good enough braking.

4. turbotommy Forum Member

Double post sorry.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  5. Richard Mk2

Cheers for the info ^^^ :thumbup: So its obviously the bigger the better then.

I did want to keep my 15's on (BBS Ra's). Was looking into a G60 setup but they are so hard to come by these days.

My MK2 wont be running mental power, nor will it be used on the track.
    Its only really taken out on the weekends and sometimes during the week.

Will definitely use braided hoses & 5.1 fluid.

:thumbup:

Ive got access to a late MK3 8v GTI that i'll be stripping. As its a 5 stud, will the rear calipes and carriers fit ok, and maybe the fronts ?

6. paultownsend Forum Member

i have tried all sorts of combo's. im now with g60 280mm fronts, mk4 rears. g60 m/c, goodridge hoses.
    vw disks front and rear. yellow stuff pads front and rear.

disks from vw/tps are marginally more expensive than brembo from gsf.they will last years. yellows get some bad press but they are better that mintex 1144's hands down.work perfectly well from cold, face ripping when warm. i was sceptical about needing the rears, but theyve never locked but grab hard.

also service your calipers while your at it. i lubed the pistons and used the proper mintex high temp grease. they feel fantastic, and i used to have loads of problems with spongey brakes.

its the feel that means the most to me, and i know that after 5 years of searching, mine are perfect.
    i reckon they will be plenty powerfull for a 225hp mk2

7. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Rich they don't just come on G60 Golfs, corrado G60 and 2.0 16V SEATs for starters. You can get everything other than the uprights/hub carriers brand new if you really wanted.

AVS sell the caliper carriers
    Brakes International sell:
    G60 Calipers
    also sell carriers
    22mm Non ABS master cylinder
    Larger servo

GSF / ECP for hub / bearings

There will be several threads in the chassis sectionlisting all the cars that have this setup. The 1.8T Ibiza was available in 4 stud so theres another one

8. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

The mk3 8v use the same setup just with 5 studs, on my car I use 16v hubs with mk3 calipers and carriers

9. Richard Mk2

Thanks for all the info above, much appreciated. :thumbup:

I didn't realise there was so many options available for a MK2 upgrade. I suppose it comes down to my budget really! G60's sound appealing though.

Ive got access to a late 8v MK3 GTI. So if i were to go for this, all i'd need is 16v hubs, 4 stud discs (from early Mk3 perhaps ???) , pads, calipers and carriers.

Also will the Mk3 rear calipers and carriers bolt on ?

10. HidRo Forum Member

You can get Ibiza GT TDI from 97/99 setup. Same as G60, and maybe easier to find?
    I have these on my mk2 20v.

11. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

in my track hack with a BAM i have old Ibiza cupra brakes , the same a 280 G60 really except red , discs are very good quality , run silicon fluid and goodridge lines and pagid fast road pads on the front and standard pagids on the rear , Now the brakes seem good and "used" to hack the ring and combe , but that was with the 16v , i really want to try out the car at castle combe to see if they are going to hack it , i suspect not . For road use they seem fine and small track work , on a airfield i did manage to get both fronts and rears smoking a lot when doing some high speed braking

I have sourced some 280mm rears discs and adaptor brackets and looking at the Willwood kit on rally design wheni have the funds and sorted the engine problem and will add a manual bias. i also am also sticking with 15" wheels

12. turbotommy Forum Member

The late mk3 5 stud rears will be fine,you could go 5 stud and fit the whole shebang.
    I know of a 4 stud disc that fits the late mk3 288mm calipers but as i'm not 100% sure they fit i'm not going to say what its off (don't want to put people on the wrong track as its 4mm less in diameter)

I too have mk3 ibiza front & rear,not tested mine enough yet to comment on them,but a very simlar set-up faded in approx 3 laps of cadwell park.

288mm fronts would be a cheap upgrade if the correct disc can be scorced & its all "bolt on"

I have dabbled in getting some 4 pots and have a good idea as how to fit some to 280mm discs but this involves fabricating adapters and machining so is not very cheap,but its quite a bit lighter than a standard G60 caliper.

13. Richard Mk2

Thanks for info above everyone :thumbup:

So 280's are good for 15" Ra's then.

Glad to hear the Mk3 rears will fit on my GTI beam ok, will whip them off this week.

Btw, just out of interest, will MK2 rear discs work ok with Mk3 calipers and carriers (same size) ? :thumbup:

14. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

you will need spacers when the pads are new if you keep the RA's i did with mine when i fitted the g60 brakes to mine
    i use g60 pads but if you use mk2 16v pad you get a bit more clearance
    i had 3mm spacers

for 16v hubs look at poverty spec mk3's with 4stud and use the 280 calipers and carriers for the mk3 gti
    with g60 discs go for vw discs if you can they are a lot better
    i got cheap ones to start with and they didn't last long

the mk3 rears calipers will work with the mk2 discs

15. Richard Mk2

Thanks mushy :thumbup:

Definitely going for this setup now. Seems the best and simplest way to go. Glad the rears will be ok. Cheers :thumbup:

16. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

its pre-96 mk3 gti, 16v and vr6 fronts you want, they're 280mm and same as mk2 g60. if you only have 288s im sure you can find a mk3 owner willing to swap you his early stuff for an easy life

17. Richard Mk2

Im stripping the Mk3 tomorrow.

Is it worth taking the front calipers and carriers off too :thumbup:

18. rubjonny

if they're 280s, yep deffinitly. if 288s, as above i recon you could find a mk3 owner to swap them with :)

19. Richard Mk2

They should be 280's though right? P reg Mk3 8v GTI ?

20. rubjonny

if P is before 96 then yeah, im no good with reg numbers after 1993 :lol: