What can a Mk2 golf 3 speed auto box take?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by saladman, Dec 13, 2022.

1. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

Been pondering this as I'm a fan of the automatic mk2 golf I've been daily driving for a while.

From brief research factory options were:

1.6 (EZ?) engine - 75bhp @ 5k rpm and 92 lbft @ 2500 rpm

1.8 (GU) engine - 90 bhp @ 5200 rpm and 107 lbft @ 3300 rpm

I've driven both a 1.6 and 1.8 version and while the 1.6 feels sluggish the 1.8 can shift when you ask it to.

So the 1.6 auto needs a bit of an upgrade. Preferably cheap and ideally I don't want to transplant a more modern lump + box into it - because of ECU/driveshafts/shifter etc etc that seems to go along with a swap.

Mk3 auto Golfs are still cheap ish on eBay though...

Options based on stuff I have in the hoard pile:

• 1.8 digifant engine from a 1987/88 GTi (was running but ~140k when removed)
    • 2.0 8v from a B3 Passat - <40k and running when removed. I assume injection and don't have an ECU - carb it or aftermarket ECU?
    I don't even know if either of the above would fit or play nicely with the mk2 auto box. Anybody got any thoughts / experience?

2. Adamss24 Forum Member

Why ? The slush boxes fitted on the vag cars are not the most reliable gearboxes out there…I had a few b5 tdi with the zf 5 speed gearbox with torque converter and even these started to go funny with age even with regular oil changes ! In my opinion a bmw/Mercedes is more suited to a auto gearbox as it can spin the wheels and thus saving the converter to lock up, in effect putting less strain to the clutch packs!
    Gearboxes go by their torque ratings, find one with the highest value and hope the internals will hold after all this time ! Rebuilding is not really an option…I think the vr6 slush box fitted to the t4 had the highest torque rating from all transverse engines however it wouldn’t fit your engine block…still failed like mosquitoes even on stock t4 !

3. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

Mostly as an experiment I guess - might have written the above after a few beverages!

Definitely can't be bothered with swap from different car / marque but interesting to hear your experience - didn't know that the old(er) autos had such a bad rep.

Thanks for sharing

4. Adamss24 Forum Member

The only auto gearbox worth swapping to will be a dsg gearbox, there are controllers you can fit on any engine with or without a brain/ecu. A dq250 will Take a lot of punishment and a dq500 will cope with anything ! Is it worth it though ? The mecatronics in these used to be a 1500 quid part with oil service and gaskets ! Might as well get that sequential gearbox that’s for sale in the classifieds…

5. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

my old blue car was std 8v GTI power ish, but fuel consumption was horrendous!!