What coolant for 2.0 ABF?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Gazzmondo, Oct 12, 2023.

1. Gazzmondo

Gazzmondo Paid Member Paid Member

I'm in the middle of replacing my heater matrix and have drained all the coolant out of the car.
    What coolant shall I put back in it?
    Do Eurocarparts or Halfords do a decent one?
    Thanks!

2. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Pretty sure that the mk3 era used the pink g12+ but I think it only really matters if you are adding to existing as you shouldn't mix them, if you have totally Flushed the system then I'd recommend 5L of the hexeal either blue or red for about 11 quid delivered on ebay

Use this in both mine with no issues.

Also I'd suggest flushing as best you can with a hose then filling with plain water, running to temp and flush again before you fill with fresh coolant, that way you don't mix with old shit and end up with something looking like pond water in your header

Gazzmondo likes this.
  3. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Yep, as above, red coolant. Or if adding to existing you can use Prestone which is compatible with all coolants.

Gazzmondo likes this.
  4. Gazzmondo

Need it pretty quick.
    So I'm guessing the Prestone one would be stocked by EuroCarParts?

5. Gazzmondo

EuroCarParts do this for under £20.
    It's G12. Any good?

Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 16.30.08.png

6. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Toolstation or screwfix.tesco are also doing special on club card for about a tenner.
    Will do fine but under £20 isn't anything to shout about, they are all less than £20, even my local motor factors.

Gazzmondo likes this.
  7. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

5l for 20 diluted - no considering you can get 5l neat for 11 to your door. But if you meed it fast I guess....

Gazzmondo likes this.
  8. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Red stuff.

Halfords do 5L concentrate for £15.

Gazzmondo likes this.
  9. watercooled Forum Member

Used Prestone red after a very exhaustive flushes to remove oil after oil cooler failure,I came up with a novel way to do this and gives excellent results.
    This worked very well to break the oil up with the added bonus it cleans all the scale from the water galleries in the engine ,in my case the engine had been dry stored for 3 + years so was a bit crusty ,you get a Finish brand dishwasher tablet and remove the "powerball" and crush up the rest and add boiling water to dissolve,add to header tank with the engine up to temp ,run for as long as you like then remove header tank overflow hose and drain into a container with engine running while adding fresh hot water.
    I did this twice and after checking my waste container the amount of scale /rust in the bottom was amazing ,and there are more benefits ,my level sensor light was flashing when header tank full, and my "solution" cleaned that and no more dash light , another good result is the car comes up to temp it runs cooler than before the oil cooler popped .
    Best result IMO is with a hot system in the motor as your dishwater is for best effect,when all clean add your coolant and job done,cheers.

Gazzmondo likes this.
  10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You can order 20litres of Red Triple X on Ebay. Does not have to be Euro Car Parts.

I am assuming you are in the UK of course.

Gazzmondo likes this.