what counts as a modification?

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by Gup16v, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Gup16v Forum Member

Hi guys

looking to get the golf insured now..

footman james said flat out no..dont insure under 25 (im 22).

so i gave adrian flux ago today and they declined to insure me because of the number of modifcations and i really cant help but feel i may have been to honest.
    the way i see ive spent loads on the car and i want it all covered but.. im thinking some things ive considered as mods may not be?

and i think there definition of mods is products from actual car tuning companies ie Forge, Garrat, Sparco, HKS. where my definition is things ive changed but are factory fit items

ie i mentioned the engine has been switched to a 1.8t lump. I said the turbo has been changed. But only from a K03 to K03s?. Though its an acutal change as AGU came with K03

to give a breakdown of what ive got for the car

AGU Engine
    Forge DV and TIP - is obviously a mod
    G60 Flywheel and Sachs VR6 Clutch - just a standard abf/g60 flywheel and standard vr6 clutch?
    K03S turbo - - not like its a GT30? standard turbo on some 1.8ts
    G60 arches -came standard on some Golfs (obv g60's)
    Evo 7 - Intercooler - thats a mod.
    Gearbox - ASD MK3 Box - again i know its a change to current set up but the gearbox itself is not modified? Just a standard Vw gearbox ?

bit of a strange question i know but the answer maybe the only thing between me paying an high premium or a reasonable.
    obv im not trying to trick the insurance company and thats not what im getting at.

any input would be great

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Doesn't matter that the engine has been "upgraded" using OEM parts, the major modification here is the fact it's a 1.8T in a Mk2...

Insurance companies will always load a premium if you've made what is considered a considerable engineering change to a car, regardless as to whether these are "standard" manufacturers parts or those from a tuning company.

And you're young...! Think about it from their point of view (and they have the stats to back it up); a young bloke in a heavily modified car is a HUGE risk to them, so you'll pay accordingly.

3. Gup16v Forum Member

thanks for getting back to me..

when i first brought the golf i knew id have a few problems getting decent insurance..but when i asked him why it was declined..

he said it wasnt the fact it was modified but that it was heavily modified :S also that i have not owned the car for a year nor do i have a ncb (always been named driver).

thats cool though atleast i know where i stand. Im sure ill find something lol!! really want to drive the bleeding thing now!

4. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

no ncb at 22 and you thought you're best course of action was to buy a 1.8T converted mk2, was never going to end well!

5. G-Man Forum Junkie

Personally any changes made to the car cosmetically or mechanically to how it rolled out of the factory is a modification in my opinion and should be declared.

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Feel free to try our club supporters Greenlight and Brentacre.

7. Gup16v Forum Member

to be old and wise you must first be young and stupid!

if i had it completely my way id have had a mk2 when i passed! Ive been driving for 4 full years now with no claims no convictions. so i thought that might stand me in goood stead but obviously not.

thanks g man again i just wanted to see if i declared more than i should have but ive covered everything ive changed. so thats ok.

Yeah mike im still hunting ive only tried two so far but i thought id ask as i didnt want to keep carrying a costly mistake forward.

Thanks again chaps!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  8. Gup16v Forum Member

mike is there club discount for CGTI with brentacre?

9. G-Man Forum Junkie

I found in the past that they asked for the power increase first (over original factory output) followed by what modifications. With my previous cars the policy was on a modified basis which meant I could modify the car as much as I like as these did not increase the output of the power declared.

Have a look around for insurance as I had my mk2 with a vr6 a few years back when I was 24 and prices were fine, however this was based on a classic car policy on a limited mileage (think they said less than 8k) but they might have changed the age restrictions.

10. Gup16v Forum Member

yeah footman said no classic insurance for under 25's..ill get in get contact with some others..

brentacre said they will insure me for 2100 - policy holder - 5k mileage. mods included - 650 XS (bit high). but car is limited to 210 BHP. I know when i remap itll be past 210 so??.

going to contact a few others. as you say and see what everyone is offering.

11. f2 ed Forum Member

I would have just said its a 1.8 20vT in a mk2

Wouldn't even bother trying to explain what gearbox code & what car the flywheel came off etc...

They won't understand any of it & it'll make them put the price up.

Its abit like me saying i've got DS2500 brake pads. Pointless telling them that imo

12. Gup16v Forum Member

yeah thats why i was wondering maybe ive been too honest and just given them an excuse to bump the price up.

i just said these parts have been 'uprated', ie uprated brakes, uprated clutch flywheel' etc.
    one side said 1.8t mk2 would have been sufficient but then if the worst happpened i wasnt sure if they would say 'nope sorry we wont pay out as you've modified the engine further..'

ill keep that in mind! :thumbup:

13. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

Did Greenlight quote you?

I think the quote you have with the 210bhp power limit is pretty awesome given your age, lack of NCD and the mods to the car. There are guys only a couple of years younger paying that much on a std 1.4 petrol 106.... (With a higher Excess!)

14. Gup16v Forum Member

nah not contacted them yet dex. will call them monday. yeah it could be worse..i was expecting something close to 3k of which i would of declined. but ill shop around, see if anyone beats it.

the price is decent so one way or another it will be insured very soon!

15. stella

stella Forum Junkie

If you still have your Bora or standard Mk2 (from your sig), it might be worth considering putting one of them on the road for a year and at least make a start of building a NCB.

Given your age and your heavily modified car, I'm surprised that you've found as good a quote as you've already got. Good luck with finding something a bit better.

16. Gup16v Forum Member

woops misread what you wrote!

umm, i could do but cost will be an issue and my parents will be using the Bora for a while.

so far everyone that knows, see it as a real good quote (so do i). i most likely will struggle to beat that quote but ive got to try!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  17. Joe16v Forum Member

Worth speaking to greenlight and sky insurance. Greenlight were really helpful even though they couldn't insure my rwd m3. Sky were the next best and were helpful and pretty much everything is included.

18. Gup16v Forum Member

thanks joe..i still need to call them.. since i spoke to brentacre ive not followed up. may call them this week some time!