what different 8-valve inlet manifolds can you get ?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by RobT, Sep 2, 2008.

1. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

presumably for webber pairs - from who ?

what about a single 50 webber for 4 ports ?

anyone put SU's on an 8V ?

'off the shelf' manifold suggestions please......

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I actually can't think who does them.I assume mangoltezi ones are available from Tweeks though their 16V ones are known to be crap due to the step on them.

3. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

A one-off manifold shouldn't be too costly, plus you'll benefit from having it designed to your own needs. As Chris has said, the mangoletsi aren't very good.

Up until recently I had these weber carbs on a custom manifold that came off a single seater with a 1.8 8v GTI engine, I had looked into getting them cut down so that they would fit in the engine bay and for the manifold to tapped for the brake servo and was quoted 60 I think.

[​IMG]

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'm not sure whether the 8-valve Mangoletzi ones are ok - the 16V ones are crap.

5. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

The ones I've seen aren't very good, plus they make fitting the carbs a pain as almost always the servo is in the way. If you go custom made, you'd be able to have it made slightly off centre to clear the servo.

I'd think if I were to look into fitting twin webers again I'd go for down draughts as that will eliminate the whole issue of clearance with the bulkhead, and the vents at the back of the bonnet can easily be modified to act as an air scoop. But if you were to go that route you'd definately have to get a manifold custom made as I've never seen one advertised.

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ah, 'course, on the Mk2 the blasted servo is sat there, though to be fair, it's a real squeeze on the bulkhead in a Mk1 anyway if trumpets of any length are run.

I wonder though what mani is on the 1500 Auto Mk1 in the mem motors section here

7. deepdishtj Forum Member

sorry to jump in but. is it a fairly easy job to do? i no a heat shield will need to be made becasue of the carbs being directly above the ex manifold. would exhaust wrap not be up to that?

8. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

If there were fitted to the Mk1 back in the day I would assume there was a larger selection of manifold available from companies such as Sorg Motorsport.

The Mk2 has no room at all between the bulk head and the engine. I've seen on Mk1s the carbs almost sitting where the rain tray used to be which is handy, and it kind of acts like a heat shield as well from the exhaust manifold.

9. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Exhaust wrap will help a little, but a heat shield will definately need to be used as well, but that wouldn't be too hard to do.

In theory it's quite straight forward, but with a Mk2 there are clearance issues with both the servo and bulkhead as mentioned before.

10. deepdishtj Forum Member

how can the clearance issues be sorted. can they be fitted with the engine in situe?

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

There are a couple of Mk1 inlet designs and the type that runs into the rain tray are virtually impossible to find.

They ?may? be available from Sorg and the like, but it's real hard-core and would be tough things to justify putting on for the road. They look like F3 things, pointing diagonally upwards.

The 'normal' ones are horizontal.

12. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

8V info only on here please - ta.

13. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

The ones I had would have sat diagonally upwards, which is probably the only way they would have fit in the Mk2 engine bay, but would most likely have required the rear of the bonnet to be raised and the rain tray to be cut away as well.

14. altern8 Forum Junkie

sorg seem to do a bit for 8vs

15. deepdishtj Forum Member

i wanna cut a whole in the bulkhead so there inside the car! what a sound that would make:p

16. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

single and twin sidedraft dcoe-type available from here

http://www.racekit.co.za/page5.htm

have emailed them to ask about runner sizes / carb sizes

might be quite cool to run a single 45 DCOE rather than twin 40s......and by my reckoning a 45 with 38 chokes would be good for 200hp

mangoletsi do a twin 40 and 45 dcoe

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Will PM pascal to ask what was on the ex-Tippet Mk1 engine when I bought it. Dave Turner or Dan will know.

18. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

19. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

From what i remember Fenn used to run this setup, so he may be able to answer any questions

20. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

I can confirm the 8V ones are crap as well....had one a while back and never even bothered to get it fitted it was that crap.

Managed to pick up a VWM one a while back ( as Chris knows ;) ).....however when I cleaned this up I found that it has small cracks in each runner [:^(]...casting itself was much much better than the Mangoletsi item, unfortunately they are as rare as rocking horse poo!

I am now looking at getting one of these......http://www.manifolds.co.za/?page_id=41