What has happened to my 2004 gti 1.8t?

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by countrydan1, May 7, 2014.

1. countrydan1 New Member

[8(] I just don't understand it. The day I bought this car it ran great. Had scary acceleration, smooth driving. All of a sudden, it all went to heck. I mentioned on earlier posts that it has developed a miss and wasn't running great. I cleaned the MAP sensor. Took it for a drive, no luck. Still missing and would only run smoothly at a steady speed. I put in a can of Seafoam. I bought new plugs, installed them. Still ran like crap. I posted on the forum and had a lot of recommendatios to replace the coil packs. The Local VW service manager drove my car for no charge and said it was the coil packs. I installed four this afternoon and fixed a vacuum hose leak. Proud and happy that I had done it myself, I jumped in and took it for a drive. Now things are different. Smooth idle, smooth steady speed. Push the pedal and the car hesitates, then takes off with about half the power it had before. This is driving me nuts. Any Ideas? Thanks.:cry:
    Surely someone on this forum has an idea what I have missed. Have I done something wrong that no one is offering any advice?

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  2. Moddedmk4 New Member

How many miles are on it? Sounds to me like timing belt

3. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

What do you Base this on?
    If it was incorrectly timed it would have never ran well, if it had failed it would not run l,
    If it had slipped a tooth then it would not idle well.

Before you spend any more money on the car check the piping for the crankcase breather, these develop splits and fail very easily, causing lost boost.

There are lots of different guides on the interweb to remove most of the rubbish piping

4. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

any links for removing these?

5. slimwadey Paid Member Paid Member

6. KentGTiKR Forum Member

1. Vag-com Diagnostics would help.
    2. If I were you I would check pressure in inlet. There's should be ~0.6bar. If not there could be problem with turbucharger, wastegate or just simple leaks.
    3. Check ignition amplifier. These fails fails quite often.
    4. Measure fuel pressure if it's keeps being steady while you give load to engine. And reaches minimum 3bar.

I had problem like mentioned in 4 section with mine 1.8T mk2. If driving evenly everything seems be ok. But since I try to accelarate let's say from 60 km/h to 80 km/h car starts to shake and hesitates. The fuel pump was dead and unable to rise fuel pressure more than ~2.2bar.
    [video=youtube;9TyhoDEe36U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TyhoDEe36U[/video]

notenoughtime likes this.
  7. ragitaround Forum Member

Could be in limp mode .

8. ragitaround Forum Member

MAF can cause limp mode

9. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

You need to get it plugged in mate then go from there ;)