What HAVE I done?

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by magzm8, Sep 4, 2010.

1. magzm8

magzm8 Forum Member

Yeah! Need to make a start before the cold, dark nights set in. :)
    Its going to be a long haul though.

2. daveslp Forum Member

Thumbs up bud, fair play to you! Its the only way to learn if you ask me. I got a '79 when I was 13 and a '91 8v at 18....Hands on- nice and oily...the best way to learn ;)

If you have a 9inch grinder, get a 4inch wire brush to the foot wells, it'll bring it nicely back to steel...if its all solid! a grinding disk can be very seveer on sheet steel.
    ALWAYS- Etch primer on clean bare metal and your sorted!

I haven't driven a K-jet...really hope its way beter than my digi. I hear it is though. Are they a mechanical head?

3. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I went from a Digi to a K-jet, and I reckon they have a better throttle response, and feel a bit stronger lower down. A bit more easily tuned too (simple couple of tweaks).

And, they`re hydraulic heads too just like the Digi.

4. damien.wrl Forum Member

Superb, can see loads of potential in this one, cant wait for updates, come on then!!!

5. magzm8

magzm8 Forum Member

Need some advice and comments here please guys. What do we think?
    Is it pretty bad or worthy of continuing?

Managed a bit more investigation yesterday despite the **** weather.

Oh well, I knew there was going to be some more rust :?

I knew the rust was around the wiper arm hole but had no idea what lurked beneath as its not possible to get your head at the right angle to see underneath. ...... Camera will fit though :o

[​IMG]

I could see this from the outside so knew it would need attention, maybe a small patch welding in.

[​IMG]

Drivers side wasn't so bad. :)

[​IMG]

All looked good from here, lots of wax has helped keep the rust at bay. :)

[​IMG]

Or so I thought. :o

[​IMG]

Goes almost halfway along the bottom edge of the windscreen so it will have to be replaced. From what Ive seen theyre 20 odd so not too expensive.

[​IMG]

Drivers side is just starting to go.

Moving inside these shots are of the inner rear wheel archs.

[​IMG]

This is the drivers side. Initially looking at it on the camera I thought it was daylight but its just white paint showing through the rust flakes.
    Can I tackle this with some rust eating paste ( Deox Gel ) ?

[​IMG]

Passenger side not quite so bad so same solution ?

Now onto the front floorpan. Ive been putting off removing the front carpets as I was convinced it was going to be rotten. Needn't have worried though, the good old wax has done its job.

[​IMG]

About 20kg of sound proofing ripped out, pretty soggy it was too, just fell apart. [:s]

[​IMG]

No worries here the bulkhead is as good as new, which is a huge bonus. Do I need to remove the painted over sound material to check the metal underneath ?

[​IMG]

Huge dollop of wax has trickled down from the injection point on the bulkhead and left a pool on the floor [:D]
    Those Germans really know how to over do the protection.

What do we think of these? Remove and re-weld in place or just wire brush and an extra dollop on top ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I noticed the rust splashes on the passenger inner wheel arch so thought I'd investigate with the camera.

[​IMG]

Pleased I did as there's a leak under the dash ( its coming out anyway so would have spotted it ).

This is why I had water in the footwell. Not too bad a repair, maybe just wire brush & sealer. Pretty sure its coming from the rusty scuttle.

Any comments would be very much appreciated guys, particularly from those of you who have been in this position and got it sorted. There's no substitute for experience. :thumbup:

Next job is to remove the dashboard and the remains of the wiring loom :o

Then its on to the rear suspension turrets and the inner front wings.... more brown me thinks. [:^(]

6. damien.wrl Forum Member

A labour of love me thinks, good on you for taking it on... white MK2s ftw.. maybe?

7. magzm8

magzm8 Forum Member

I now have a couple of images from your "buffed" thread included amongst my restoration images. They inspire me :thumbup: Its a beauty and I'm sooo tempted to make you a really crazy offer.

And it looks better on the original Steelies IMO :):p

8. dan_gti2004 Forum Member

Doesnt look too bad from the pics. I have seen alot worse. Best to grind back all the rust. If its just surface rust just clean it up and repaint. Where it is rotten cut it out and weld small plates in. Worth saving it :thumbup:

9. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Where you have circled on your last photo, the water will be coming in through the small factory hole there because of the rust around the windscreen frame. I currently have the same problem, I applied some of 'Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure' (it didn't cure the leak either) to the outside of the windscreen seal and it appeared inside the car at that point - et voila!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. damien.wrl Forum Member

ouch!!:p

this will be epic I am sure, flash or cif will get off the mildew for you, cif is a bit abrasive though so be careful with it.... the steelies do look nice on yours, you may want to get a bit alloyed later though, I will probably have a spare radio cassette at some time but it will be late 80.s issue....

11. magzm8

magzm8 Forum Member

Update

Seems my concerns about what was lying beneath the thick bitumen on the floorpan were unfounded.
    After a bit of a poke around with a screw driver and then a good wire brushing, I'd exposed a very welcome sight.
    And this is after the car had sat for 6 years with a pool of water in this area during any rainy spells. :o

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once again its testement to VW's obsession with rust proofing and weather protection.

Unfortunately I found a different story on the passenger side [:^(]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need to scrape back most of the Bitumen in this whole section really to check for more holes.
    This will need a replacement section fabricating and welding in place. Still, could be a lot, lot worse. :)

[​IMG]

The seat anchor points at the front were a worry too but turns out to be just surface rust. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all then another good half day's messin around. I also got the rear suspension turrets uncovered but did'nt take any pics.
    Good news there is there were no signs of rust at all in the back on the inside. This now leaves me with the inner wings ( front & back )
    the underside and inside the roof ( under the roof lining ) to expose.

So far so good then and it aint a colunder after all. [​IMG]

12. damien.wrl Forum Member

Looks like good news ... sadly the windscreen and bulkhead is I beleive the harder place to repair but I am feeling unde rthreat already... keep going

13. magzm8

magzm8 Forum Member

:lol::lol: Its a long, long way yet before "CUDG" will ever be a threat to Vincent. :lol::lol:

Almost forgot the mildew free images. Looks a lot better white than green ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  14. Mike_H Forum Addict

If it's an early C-plater it could be solid lifter. Best to be sure before buying any cams or head parts ;)

I found Kjet Mk2 sciroccos to pull better than digifant golfs, and seem to be happier pulling to the red line (6750 on the kjet cars). They're about 30kg lighter, but I think there's more in it than that. Of course, on 15+ year old cars, it could be down to individual condition. I'm talking about a scirocco I bought with over 150k miles on it though (now 190k).

Great progress on the project - have you checked the rear beam mounts yet - corrosion there could be terminal, but going by the rest of the car, I'd be more hopeful than fearful.

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

Just a thought... maybe we should move this to the Members Gallery section, as it's turning into a project thread. OK with you?

16. afbiker02

afbiker02 Paid Member Paid Member

It'd be easier to find in the members section :thumbup:

17. magzm8

magzm8 Forum Member

Absolutley fine. In fact I was going to ask if it could be done.

Cheers :thumbup:

18. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Done. :thumbup:

19. magzm8

magzm8 Forum Member

More updates from yesterdays work.

Managed to clear the rest of the Bitumen in the rear footwell and scraped off as much as I need to in the front.
    The surface rust has all been wire brushed back and the metal thats exposed will be etch primed as a temp fix.
    Top corner will need to be replaced but its a relatively small welding job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then moved on to one of the major parts that I know from others can hold a hell of a lot of rot. [:^(]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And best of all was inside. :)

[​IMG]

And Passenger side.. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last pic is on its side, but you get the idea...... NO RUST WoooooHoooo ! ! [:D]

[​IMG]

20. damien.wrl Forum Member