What is going on here? (modified insurance prices)

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by twolitrepinto, Jan 28, 2014.

1. twolitrepinto Forum Member

I'm 26 almost 27 years old.
    I have had my licence 8 years.
    i have had no accidents, no claims, no points etc.
    i live in a quiet area.
    only 2yr NCB as i got mugged off by swapping to and from commercial policies when i had a van. (i hate insurance companies!)

my car is a 1990 mk2 golf 1.6 driver with mods:

2.0 ABF engine.
    coilover suspension
    288mm brakes front,
    gti standard discs rear.
    23mm M/C, 9" servo and braided hoses.
    full stainless jetex exhaust.
    mk3 widetrack & PAS setup.

now to be honest when i try and get a quote i only tell them the main things, because i dont want to waste time when they say no anyway.

i have called so many insurance companies now, just to be told no, sorry your engine produces more than double the power of the original.
    WELL DUH it was 72bhp before, not going to go through all that just for an extra 10 or 20bhp am i? anyway 150bhp is not extreme.

footman james wont touch it, adrian flux are the only people who will and i am currently insured with them but it works out at 132 /month.

i think this is extreme considering my previous car was a BMW 318is e36 coupe (140bhp) and i paid 450 a year for that and i was allowed to drive other cars, and do 12000 miles a year.

This car is my daily driver and i am already closing in on my 5000 mile limit after 6months.
    i feel like i am being robbed paying that much money, not being able to drive other cars, also not being able to drive it as much as i really need to.
    anyone have any suggestions?

2. DuBAndy Forum Member

I went with Brentacre. They can also mirror your NCB if you have 2 cars. My MK2 has an agreed limit of 280BHP - Was 112BHP (8V GTi) to begin with. I'm 27 with 6 years NCB on another car. Think I'm paying around 600 with an agreed value too.

twolitrepinto likes this.
  3. twolitrepinto Forum Member

i will give them a call thanks

4. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

HIC as in Herts Insurance Company?

Gurds

5. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Try Greenlight, forum sponsor. I've had a quote from them for my 350bhp Mk2, and it's less than your BMW. I've also got one from HIC, although they were a bit more than Greenlight, but still less than the BMW.
    Mind you, I am 40 this year...

6. twolitrepinto Forum Member

Just spoke to a guy at brentacre an i must say im impressed,

quoted me 680 which works out 170 deposit then 52 a month

im paying almost 140 a month at the moment.
    sorry flux :thumbd:

they didnt care about my "no claims" as i have no actual claims against me and have had my licence 8 years.

he also knew what an ABF was as his colleauge has one parked outside on throttle bodies lol.

all other mods are free unless they up the power, can drive other cars and do 10k a year (or more if i want to up it).

only problem is not i have to pay adrian flux 130 to cancel, and 170 deposit, so it works out expensive, but i will get that back in 3 months.

7. DuBAndy Forum Member

Good old Brentacre. They do love their VW's! They know exactly what you are talking about unlike other insurance companies!

8. twolitrepinto Forum Member

done. canceled and im now with brentacre :-)

9. Gup16v Forum Member

that's not bad!!

Brentacre are top top brokers! Only a handful of guys and i think i've spoke to most of them now lol.

They insured my 20V MK2 for 2200 considering i had no NCB and was only 21! All Mods covered! Capped at 210 Bhp though [8(]

10. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Greenllight quoted me at 300 for the year for the mk2, with all the mods. I'm 27 btw :thumbup:

11. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

To the OP, were you actually warned about your NCB being affected when you switched to having a van? I've switched to a T4 van but I'm still on a car policy as far as I am aware. Direct Line never mentioned commercial policy. Think I'm going to bell them to make sure now.

12. tom.rich Forum Member

I keep hearing good things about Brentacre, got quite a few lads locally who've had similar things to the above to say :)

That Greenlight place sounds massively intriguing though :thumbup:

13. Prawn Forum Member

Good result!

Some places really take the **** I found.

After years with HIC I found myself getting less and less happy with them. Recently switched to Greenlight, all mods delcared, 360bhp, and it's under 500. Was very happy with that.

14. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Been with Brentacre for nearly ten years now. Sometimes I've had slightly cheaper quotes (tens of pounds rather than hundreds) but the level of knowledge, customer service, and free-reign on (non-power) mods wins every time for me.

15. twolitrepinto Forum Member

to be fair, i have heard good things about direct line, whereas i have had bad experiences with admiral, elephant and the like, they may be cheaper but they get you any way they can to make you pay, or not pay you.

direct line is expensive, but the service is second to none compared.

i was not warned, i was just told that i could not use no claims from a commercial policy on a car policy, never even recieved my certificate from them. if that happened to me again now, i would not have none of it. i have learned that sometimes you need to get a bit angry down the phone to get anywhere with some companies.

then i got my mk2 modified half way through a policy on my old mk3 golf cl, sureterm wouldnt insure it so was forced to cancel. now my insurance went up, as i thought i had 3 years NCB but only had 2, it went up about 40 a month which just took the biscuit so i cancelled this one.

i will get there one day!!!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  16. Tony@Greenlight

Tony@Greenlight Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

Hi twolitrepinto,

Sorry to hear that you seem to be having a rough ride of it Insurance wise.

As you say, 150BHP is not extreme.

I'd like to try and help with this, as for some reason it sounds as though you're not getting anywhere near the rates that you should be.

With regard to your current policy for your MK2 Golf, you should be able to extend your 5000 mile limit with your current Insurer. But again, it's likely you'll be paying a top up for the mileage extension.

I'm not sure as to whether you contacted us, but we may be able to help with this. Most of the staff at Greenlight own and run (or have owned and ran) the types of cars that we provide Insurance for, which really helps with understanding the impact and merit of carrying out modifications.

From a personal perspective, I've grown up with VAG models, my first car was a Mk1 Jetta, followed shortly after with a Mk1 Golf Gti, a Mk2 8v, a MK2 16v, a MK3 16v and a MK3 VR6 back in the day. More recently, a MK5 Golf GTi, Audi TT and VW Touareg amongst other vehicles.

If you would like us to take a look at this for you, we'd be happy to do so.

You could either PM me your contact details and we'll call to run through this with you (before you top up your existing mileage limit) or could call our office (01277 650866) between 9am - 6pm (monday-friday) or 9am - 1pm (saturday) for us to take a look at this for you.

Kind regards

Tony