What is the route to take !?

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by JWYATT, Aug 31, 2010.

1. JWYATT Forum Member

Alrite , im 18 and a mechnic apprentice , i've done alot of work to my mk2 8v near uprated everything ready to help towards the new home for my VR , I've got a 12 vr6 ob2 , im looking at getting some pretty high N/A power but keeping the 6cyl smoothness and driveable on the roads , from buying the main engine stuff from the USA i'd save alot ,

the cams/exhuast are 100% but the other internals over kill ?

vavle springs
    ti retainer
    lighter lifters
    Rods
    Pistons
    268 cams
    6 branch - full system

im fully rebuilding the engine at home and the bill would be about 1.8k all in with import charges , i know its everyone to thier own build and what they want but im really trying to build something what others say is well to much for my age im not on much money but i think if i really focus and want this i'd do it , i've read that having big cams its best to get the springs , but i question must the above as my freind had a mk2 VR and it was so fast and was all standard ish just manifold back and drilled air box , it was TSR that got the rods into my head as i spoke to him on the phone weather he wanted a sale ?

just after what people think , Cheers Joe :-D

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  2. JWYATT Forum Member

nice your about the 3rd person who has talked about gear ratios ! i need a top of of being in a mk2 VR coz its been a few months , that should sea thise doubt in my mind gone haha :)

Joe

3. Benjo Forum Member

4. JWYATT Forum Member

insurance ? :p

5. Benjo Forum Member

please tell me you're not thinking of rolling around without any...

6. JWYATT Forum Member

yeah the orignal car on the V5 would be , im 18 and insurance is already sky high , it wont be a daily , few people i know have got 8k plus 20v's and a friend has a evo 6 worth about 25k and thats insured as the day it came out the factory ,

7. Benjo Forum Member

Not cool....

Excuse my french, but that's just f**king stupid, & your friends are idiots. If you put a different engine in a car without telling the insurers precisely what you've changed they'll void your insurance in the event of any accident/incident as soon as the insurance assessor pops the bonnet.
    The ramifications just aren't worth it, especially when one takes into consideration your age/road experience. I'm not trying to slate you or make out you're a bad driver, but pretty much every petrol-head I know had multiple crashes before the age of 23 (myself included). Pretty much all were caused by overly enthusiastic driving. It's not a matter of if, but when...

The other side of the arguement is that if you bin it into an innocent party, there will be no recompense for the third party. Car crashes are a really expensive pain in the **** at the best of times. I hate to think how bad it would be with an uninsured driver.

Insurance is there for a very good reason. It's just a fact of life that it's obscenely expensive when you're young. You've just got to suck it up & either pay the price for something fast now, or tool about in something cheap while you save up for a couple of years.