What kind of welder do I need?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Jolfa, Apr 28, 2009.

1. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Id let the experts comment before you buy, iv never used mine to put an engine in the back of a car....., but between me and my dad we have used that welded for allsorts and its been good, even welded a crack in the arm of a 1.5t mini digger welded a plate over and its never cracked again so must be very very strong.

2. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

That will 'do the job' on bodywork / thin stuff, wouldnt trust it on much more than 3mm, although it could probably handle 5mm when it was new.
    The trouble with the little hobby welders is the transformer can handle things ok, but the wire feed, torch and liner are all pretty rubbish. By the time you've spent 75 on the welder (should go for around that) and added the cost of a new torch / liner, roll of wire, Guage etc you're up to over 150.
    For around 300 you'll get a very good machine that will do pretty much anything you throw at it car wise.
    If funds allow, look for something with a Eurotorch on it. If you have any engineering companies near you, pop round and see if they have anything they want to get rid of, or have a look at farm sales etc.

3. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

how about this one
    hear

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  4. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

That's the problem ^neo^ I'm on f*ck all of a budget :( (I know, don't bother doing it at all then...)

Assuming the wire feed, torch and liner were all up to scratch, would that not be adiquate to weld tube to plate/plate to flat spec wise?

5. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

Depends what thickness you're talking about. It may be worth just going for it (as long as it goes for sensible money) and using it to practice with, and if it's not up to the job, use it to tack bits together how you want it and take it to an engineering company to do the final weld. If it's structural in any way, you want to make sure it's going to hold, and you may struggle with a little machine like that.

Edit: The above was about the little one you posted the link for............. the one mushy posted should be man enough for the job

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  6. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

it's still in budget

7. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

Jeez............ that price has jumped quite a bit :lol:
    Bet the seller is rubbing his hands together

8. s1m0n Forum Member

I would echo the advice you've already received (especially that from ^neo^ ), if you do it "on the cheap" it'll be murder trying to learn.

I learnt to Oxy/Acetylene weld at school when I wanted a MIG I asked the certified welder were I worked for advice, he said: -

>Make sure it has a Euro Torch
    >Make sure you can get spares easily AND from "normal" welding suppliers.
    >Make sure the duty cycle is sufficient for your needs.
    >Make sure you get one that has fan cooling and takes at least a half size bottle

For me (hanging bits together for cars) this was a unit giving a nominal 180 amps, runs on single phase, has a very robust wire feed and good "adjustability".

Cost me 312 (second hand).

If your a time served, "welding god" then you'll be able to make a 50 unit work (after a fashion)... For learning on, forget it, spend a little more and have a MUCH easier time of it.

Cheers

Simon

edit: good luck with the project

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  9. fthaimike Forum Addict

Had a mate who is a professionl welder come around & use mine with very good results on 3mm to 3mm & thinner stuff:

At the time it cost me 212 at MachineMart

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Nordoff Forum Junkie

While you're looking sound for a decent welder start learning what a good weld looks like.
    I've seen people boast about the welding done professionally on their cars, looked underneath and found what looks like a metal shoelace sitting sitting on top of the seam.
    Lots of people think they can weld but very few can do it properly, the difference is knowing from listening during the welding, judging how big a weld pool is in relation to your speed, looking at how the heat penetrates the metal after, getting an even bead that doesn't sit on top or undercut the join, and for gods sake don't try passing a run of tack welds off as something to be proud of.
    Loads more but can't be arsed to type anymore on a phone browser.

11. fthaimike Forum Addict

^ ^ ^ pretty much had the same things said by my welder, watching it with some glasses was an art form.

12. Nordoff Forum Junkie

No certificates.
    I was taught by a jap shouting slower/ steady/ even at me until I got it right.

A basic is a good clean mask, not expensive just clean.
    If you can't see where the join is the rest of your learning will be fail city.
    Get something you can see through and till you get some confidence short runs with a tack weld at the end of your welding so you can see where to stop.

13. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Cheers all, very helpful :thumbup:

14. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

I did a 10 week evening corse at OCVC college in bicester. they do oxy, mig and tig so you can do whichever you please (or all 3). costs about 280-300 if memory serves.

prety regular user of their machines now (I'm doing a different full time course there) and I can honestly say comparing their welders to mine that you get EXACTLY what you pay for.

Personally I'd buy new or take an expierienced person to test a 2nd hander out before you part with any cash. just remember "buy cheap, buy twice" really dose apply here.