What Manifold For 16v Twin 45

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Mk1Lee, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Mk1Lee New Member

Hi guys I'm new here and looking for some advise on setting up Twin 45's on a 16v. i've had a little nose around and looked at some threads to get some advise but ended confusing myself. Can anyone advise me on what inlet manifold would be good to use for the 45's and where I would purchase from?[:s]

next, I'm looking to get the carbs new but seeing the cost of them I'm thinking of getting 2nd hand ones. What benifits would a new carb from weber have over 2nd hand ones? apart from them being clean lol. Would the new ones give better performance? etc

Any advise would be great.
    Thanks

Lee

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

3. prof Forum Addict

i know this is the carb forum, but it'd be cheaper to run it on standard fuel injection

why do you want to use carbs?

4. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Welcome Lee...

Most of the off the shelf carb 16v manifolds are poor in terms of flow, but are designed to make fitting in the car simple. A correctly designed manifold with a high flow rate needs other components to make it fit... i.e re-positioning of the alternator, lowering of the radiator, a straighter water outlet off the head between cylinders 2 & 3. Just mocked one up in a MK1.

A carb manifold can flow as much air as direct to head t/b's (just tested some) if it's the right shape, if it's not... it wont.

If you just want the "carb" look and noise, the aftermarket manifolds will fit, if you want the performance the carbs can give you need one of the longer, straighter manifolds but need to deal with the clearance issues.