What mods void VW warranty ?

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by Buggirl, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Buggirl

Buggirl Forum Member

Hi folks,
    As per my previous posts, I have ordered my new Polo GTi and should get her witching 3 months.

I have already been looking at HP increasing goodies. I have also been looking at genuine VW R racing goodies (of which it appears they only have items currently for the 1.4 GTi!). Question is, what voids my warranty?

Has anyone else brought brand new and done subtle mods such as cold ain't induction and air filter changes and have you a. Noticed increase in Horse power or b. Void your warranty as a result?

2. JosephhP New Member

To be honest I think anything you do that isn't VW approved voids the warranty. Which is a shame because I really want a remap.

However I spoke about getting VW to fit some non-factory wheels, and they mentioned that it would mean if anything happened that was caused by the wheels the warranty would be void. If it was a problem with something that wasn't the wheels, it would be fine.

Hope this helps!

3. Buggirl

Buggirl Forum Member

Thanks and by the way, love your dub!

4. Danallkins

Danallkins Forum Member

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    Buggirl likes this.
  5. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Could be wrong but i'm sure this would still show up

If it was me I'd keep it standard engine wise till it was out of warrant

Buggirl likes this.
  6. Danallkins

Danallkins Forum Member

When vcds is used to scan for faults etc I never seen anything about my map!?

7. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

I think there's a good chance if not now it could be retrospectively detected on updated software/equipment.

Buggirl likes this.
  8. rcopp New Member

Hi all,

This thread is pretty close to my own question:

I am picking up a new MkVII GTI Performance (whoohoo!) and I'm debating the extended warranty. I'm in Canada, they're offering to extend the 4yr/80k warranty to 10yr/200k for about $3.5k. But my last car had a long extended warranty and I found it stopped me from doing fun things to it, like putting in a new sway bar or engine mount, both of which would have much improved road feel...

So, pros and cons? Looking for advice, currently leaning towards not getting the warranty and just taking my lumps if I need a new transmission in yr 6...

Thanks!

9. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Are you planning on keeping it much more than the original 4yr warranty?

10. RobGTi New Member

I have spoken to both APR & Revo. My car was actually going to be used for development by APR but I didn't receive the vehicle in time due to delays on the production line. With regards to cold air intake Revo were making up a kit but they lost power on dyno runs so I would steer clear. If I was you talking from experience I would wait for either one of these to come up with a suitable map and going with that :)