What paint to use on rear beam?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by turbotommy, Sep 15, 2009.

1. turbotommy Forum Member

Stripped my wide track rear beam down now and wire brushed most of the rust that was on it,i was going to get it blasted & mabe powder coated but wondering if the cost is going to make a difference on whats going to be a summer track/ring car and it would be quicker & easier to just paint it my self before building it up again.
    Question is; what paint do i use?
    Thoughts guy's please [:D]

2. powder coat is great til it chips, then it's harder to repair than normal paint.
    if it's being blasted get some etch primer on it straight afterwards, then a couple of coats of stone chip proof paint.
    don't know what the hammerite stone chip stuff is like, but i used ordinary hammerite and rust is already starting to show through.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  3. pigbladder Forum Addict

4. turbotommy Forum Member

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  5. pigbladder Forum Addict

brushes on nice too

6. Supercharged Forum Member

Rust-oleum is the way forward if you don't want to pay for Powdercoating - dries as an enambel and way better than Hammerite

7. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

hammer****e - dont use it..

8. Supercharged Forum Member

I've been saying that for years - always makes me laugh when people on here recommend it - it really is awful stuff.

9. if it rhymes with sh*te it can't be good..