What parts are interchangeable between a Mk2 (6K) Ibiza and Mk2 Golf?

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by luke w, Sep 1, 2013.

1. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I'm looking to buy a complete Mk2 Ibiza rally car primarily for it's engine, but it has quite a decent parts on there such as brand new Avo coilovers. I know the Ibiza is a bit of a mishmash of various Golf/Polo parts, so what bits will fit my Mk2 Golf?

2. turbotommy Forum Member

The front is mk3 golf gti narrow track (it'll fit a mk2) the rear is polo so won't fit a mk2 golf but will fit mk2 & mk3 Ibiza.
    Most of the front can be made to fit a mk2 mind,its not hard :-)

3. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Cheers mate, so no chance of the rear shocks fitting?

I take it I'll be able to use the PAS setup?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

a lot less than you would think unfortunately!

it has a mk3 subframe and mk2 wishbones, bearing carriers, roll bar, shafts and track rods. rack will go but you may need a mk3 uj as pretty sure the biza uj is wrong for mk2. have a go with the ibiza to see if the steering feels good as i find ours is a bit light for my liking but then it is a poverty spec. the rear shocks are too short I believe but you never know might get away with it with coils wound right out but dunno what ride would be like. front engien carrier is mk3 so wont fit mk2, radiator is different too i think but prov fit with a bit of tweaking. fuel tank is different, not sure what the fuel pump is id imagine mk3 golf

interior is all pretty different, seats are mk3 golf fitment so go in a mk2 with same mods as mk3 seats need.

Brian.G likes this.
  5. turbotommy Forum Member

As the Guru says above,the rear shocks are shorter,the rad is taller (a bit too tall for a mk2 but lower the mounts and it will) the 16v ABF pump is the same as a mk3 golf 16v one but the tank is different.
    I fitted a mk3 Ibiza rack to my mk2,the splines are different same as a mk3 golf so U/J needs to be changed and its VERY light steering. I compared the rack to a mk2/mk3 golf and they are all the same lock to lock,might be down to the pump why they have more assistance.

6. turbotommy Forum Member

Double post

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  7. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Thanks peeps.

My brother was interested in the coilovers, he runs his Mk2 very low so it may be okay that they are short.

With regards to the PAS, would it be possible to swap the pump out for a Mk3 item to see if it changes the feel? The two main reasons for wanting to convert to PAS is the short lock to lock ratio over the manual rack and with it running sticky R888 tyres the steering can be extremely heavy at lower speeds, but I don't want to sacrifice the feel once it's up to speed. I like the feel in my Corrado so if I can replicate that then that would be ideal.

What is the clutch setup on these? I know it has an O2A gearbox, is it hydraulic clutch or does it run a cable with one of those converter things?

8. rubjonny

the biza pump is the same fitment as the mk3 yes, but I have a feeling its the rack rather than the pump

9. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Okay, I'll probably give it a go anyway, hopefully the tyres and the eventual suspension setup will add a bit of weight back to the feeling.

10. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

I'll have a look at the rears in the minute. Hopefully they'll have enough length to fit

11. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

This is an excellent thread so keep it coming. I always consider the ibiza the next nearest car to the Mk2 Golf and a viable car to buy instead of the mk2 to be honest since Mk2 prices are borderline mad here now for a good one. Had one for 5 years and they drive almost exactly like the mk2 in terms of handling.
    The only bad thing about them if using for an engine test bed is that they are newer, and face stricter nct/mot emission regs(dont they?)

Brian,

12. rubjonny

they will need to pass the CAT checks yes, too new for the old skool test! however if you were to fit a pre-93 engine then you would be able to go by the pre-cat testing but you would have to prove the age of the engine!

the SEAT Toledo is a MK2 Jetta with a different body on it so almost everything fits, it has a corrado like rear bench which is straight fit, uses mk2 golf dash switches but with the logos rotated 90degrees. but they are rare as the proverbial unfortunately.

Only pic I could find of the dash:
    [​IMG]

I've only ever found 1 in my local scrappy and that was many years ago before I knew about all the funky parts I could rob off it unfortunately!

13. rubjonny

they will need to pass the CAT checks yes, too new for the old skool test! however if you were to fit a pre-93 engine then you would be able to go by the pre-cat testing but you would have to prove the age of the engine!

the SEAT Toledo is a MK2 Jetta with a different body on it so almost everything fits, it has a corrado like rear bench which is straight fit, uses mk2 golf dash switches but with the logos rotated 90degrees. but they are rare as the proverbial unfortunately.

Only pic I could find of the dash:
    [​IMG]

I've only ever found 1 in my local scrappy and that was many years ago before I knew about all the funky parts I could rob off it unfortunately!

14. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

15. rubjonny

that be the one aye! the higher spec ones use the corrado vr6 front engine carrier so perfect for mk2 vr6 swap, nice big radiators that drop right in etc :)

16. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

This has changed with the latest amendments to the MOT regs.

If the car had a cat on when new, it must have one now,regardless of engine.

17. rubjonny

mot uk manual still mentions whatever is older thing thats why I mentioned it, I guess they havent updated the site