What replacements for the OEM mk2 speakers

Discussion in 'ICE' started by funkbaron, Aug 8, 2006.

1. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Can anybody recommend replacement speakers for the standard OEM rear parcel mount and front door slots. I don't want to butcher my parcel shelf, and i'm not looking at spending huge bucks on car audio right now....Even knowing the sizes I'm looking for would help. I'll be leaving the factory tweeter things in the dash, so just the door ones in the front.

Cheers

2. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

rear - 6"x4"

front - nice set o 5.25" components :thumbup:

3. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Darryn, can you recommend any good brands, I don't mind spending a little bit....is it possible to get a reasonable sound from 6x4's? And 5.25" components - is that a mid range and tweeter setup? Sorry, car stereo stuff isn't something i'm clued up on at all.

4. jimmy123 Forum Member

5.25 component are the mid and tweeter set up, made a world of diffrence in my golf :thumbup: .i bought infinty ones on e bay for about 60quid but depends how much you want to spend have a look on e bay

5. G-Man Forum Junkie

You might be able to get away with saving the money you would spend on the 6x4's and use it towards getting better components. I just use front components in my lil Arosa with a sub and sounds fine.

The 6x4's might give slightly better stereo imaging but last time I had 7x10's which were overpowering [:$]

6. funkbaron Forum Junkie

:o Never realised they did 7x10"s....

But yeh, i may do away with repalcing and running the rear speakers, and get better ones upfront, alongside a sub in the boot....thing is, I listen to lots of different types of music, and I want a system that sounds good for all of them....anything from 1960's rock to jumpup DnB. Any brands to avoid/go for? Say 250 budget for everything excluding head unit.....what would you buy? Second hand is always favourable I'm sure.

7. G-Man Forum Junkie

250?? Is that for components, amp and sub?? [:s]

8. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Is that not enough[:s]

I see car hi-fi as a bit of a rip off: i have spent thousands on home hi-fi stuff, but with road noise etc, you're never gonna get hi-fideltity sound in your car, it's just not worth it.....what kindof budget would you recommend - presumably 250 would buy me 500 of second hand kit?

9. G-Man Forum Junkie

10. jimmy123 Forum Member

look on e bay,you can buy last years gear! new cheep.i cant see there much differnce in it other than the price 250 it will be tight but may be poss

11. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Thanks G-Man - but what would you get for 400 new - I think 250 would get me some decent kit second hand surely, at least 400 worth?

12. funkbaron Forum Junkie

I'll budge slightly man! Which one were you at BVF - the guy with the rallye front end?:)

13. jimmy123 Forum Member

not a bad set up g-man deff the rainbow not sure about the sub, the amp only appers to run 2 channel?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  14. jimmy123 Forum Member

nah i was passanger in the black mk2 with the jetta front end,i work with revees for my sins

15. funkbaron Forum Junkie

:lol:was a good day, if a little hot, and you all seemed like good guys - can't remember which of you was driving that mind - who was sat in the boot at the end......you? Thanks for the audio advice though[:D]

16. jimmy123 Forum Member

:p naa it was me bro sat in the boot :lol: i had to sit in the blazing sun[:^(] we are ok,me bro is the one into stereo i just lay the cables :p but serouisly e bay can turn up some cheep gear

17. funkbaron Forum Junkie

You, your bro, and tommer going to the Somerset rolling road? I'll maybe have an ABF installed by then with any joy! Keeping my eyes peeled on ebay for some cheap audio stuff.

18. jimmy123 Forum Member

we might go to watch.i am still looking for a new car and me bros 180000 miler prob wouldnt take a go on the rollers:lol: