What sand blaster would you buy to remove the underseal on a mk2 golf

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by nut 20v, Jun 9, 2012.

1. nut 20v

nut 20v CGTI Regional Host - Birmingham & Midlands

Hi all ive stripped most of the underseal from my mk 2 but there are still some hard to reach areas to get to so im looking to get a sand blaster what make do you recomend and what media to remove the the rubber underseal as in some areas it is around 15mm thick and sand will bounce straight off. or would you get somone around to do it im not sure on the rates but im sure it would be more than doing it myself i have a large compressor and a unit to do it in so no worries there.

2. TJ2727 Forum Member

I would suggest that it would just bounce off the rubber underseal. I would suggest heat would be the best way to remove this stuff.

Best of luck

3. nut 20v

nut 20v CGTI Regional Host - Birmingham & Midlands

With heat it just burns tryed flame and heat gun not really that good and leaves a rubbish finnish im after clean bare metal finnish thinking of using blast grit but is very expensive there must be a cheaper alternative outhere/

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

5. priceygti Forum Member

sandblasting won't even touch underseal on the body as already said heatgun and scrapper plus patience is your only option. unless you have deep pockets then have the shell acid dipped

6. Forkliftfred New Member

Petrol and a rag and some elbow grease

7. Gazt Forum Member

We have to use a blow torch and a scraper on the cars we blast at work,takes a fair few hours,any sealer,underseal ect the blaster won't touch really,we use crushed glass on our cars

8. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

I have stripped a MK1 of under seal before, hot air gun and a small scraper are the way to go, and a cupped wire brush on a grinder to finish it off.

Oh and lots of coffee on hand a and a headphones

9. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I use the method exactly as TSR 2.1 says. I'm currently doing this on my Syncro which is on the jig at the moment.

However, to finish it off after removing the bulk of it with a heatgun and scraper, I use a small wire brush cup on a drill, rather than a hefty thing on a grinder. The nice thing I have found is that, somehow, the wire brush removes the remaining underseal but without affecting the paint (or e-coating, whever it is) on the metal itself.

10. Mike_H Forum Addict

Currently doing a Mk1 Scirocco. Electric scraper and heat gun, then going back over it with a plastic stripping disc on a grinder. You have to be very gentle with the stripping disc or you'll destroy it though.