What sat nav?

Discussion in 'Sat Nav, GPS, Camera Detectors' started by cliveyp, Aug 23, 2006.

1. cliveyp Forum Member

I was looking into treating myself to another Road Angel, but after a bit of thought i wondered if it might be better to spend a little extra and get sat nav instead/aswell.

I'm limiting myself to 250 in any case, but was originally looking at the Road Angel Compact.

These are the choices i've picked out so far:

Road Angel Navigator 6000
    Tom Tom One
    Tom Tom GO 500
    Garmin Nuvi
    AA Navigator Ultimate
    NavMan iCN520 (reduced at Halfords)
    NavMan iCN530

This is just the list that i've pulled from the Halfords website, if theres anymore you recommend, let me know.

Or would i just be better of getting the Compact........

2. TurbTech Forum Junkie

Hmmmm, the Road Angel 6000 is pretty good. They use the same software as the TomToms so are pretty good on the mapping side of things, only downside is that because it is such a small unit that has quite a lot of features the processor is a bit slow but otherwise fine once driving.

The two TomToms are pretty much the same, only difference being that the 500 has bluetooth, the major roads of europe and 2 hours more battery life.

The Garmin is pretty good and about the same size as the 6000 but doesn't have the speed camera detection

The Navmans are absolute ****e in comparison and not really worth considering.

3. cliveyp Forum Member

Cheers mate, had heard similar about the Navman stuff, but thought i'd sound them out.

I quite like the idea of still being able to use the Navigator 6000 in a "Road Angel Only" function too. Useful when i don't need the sat nav functions.

4. TurbTech Forum Junkie

Yep, i'd probably go for the road angel. It only came out a little while ago so they might bring out the Laser detector attachment like they did for the Road Angel Compact.

5. golfgtimk2 Forum Member

Tom Tom one [:D]

6. TDB86 Forum Member

My dad has a Garmin Nuvi and its great. Simple to use adn it has the speed camera's on it.

I also have a Garmin i3 Street Pilot and its a good tool thats not as expensive as the nuvi but still has the speed camera data base incorperated into it.

So i can definately recomend them.

7. morerevs New Member

If you opt for a pda you can choose from several sat nav programs likeTomTom & IGo etc.

I-Go is really impressive & you get all the European maps with it.

Better still sign up for a TMobile MDA compact II or III or similar PDA/phone as these will run the software no problem & you are not restricitng yourself. I currently have both I-go and TomTom on mine. Im not condoning illegal copies of the software but you can generally pick up the latest vesions for less than a tenna on Ebay.

Cheers

Graham

8. Bonney_Gti New Member

buy a tomtom one. i sell these things everyday at halfords. roadangel 6000 is alright for the fixed safety points but the gps software is shocking. unless your planning on going abroad you dont need to spend anymore than a tomtom one. and you can put the camera points on for free obviously. [:D] 520 navmans are ****. aa navigator are the worst satnavs ever created. garmin nuvi's are good infact very good but in my opinion the tomtoms are better as they are much more user friendly. the GO500 is a bulky unit and unless you want major roads of europe and and hands free kit it's not worth the extra money

9. Bonney_Gti New Member

na they're not going to. basicly the road angel 6000 was designed to be used abroad. for this to all be legal blackspot decided not to put laser detection as an option so it can be used abroad. now if i was a designer at blackspot (roadangel) it would have laser detection and be only used in the uk. spend more money on the gps software as well and it would easily outsell the tomtom and garmin range. grrrr when will they learn ;)