What shall i do to my mk 4 gti turbo

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by d1spm, May 25, 2008.

1. d1spm New Member

hi all just brought a mk 4 gti turbo (1999) and i was chatting to a mate and he reckons theres a few tweeks i can do but i am completly confused as to what to do

he said i should:

have the ecu remapped??
    air filter
    exhaust
    de-cat it

has anyone ever had these things done if so wheres the best places to get it done also what kinda bhp gain wud i get cheers

2. Tomo IOW Forum Member

yeah revo map,de-cat,exhaust,air filter, mates done this on his and its now around 200bhp

3. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Remap, filter and exhaust definitely.
    Decat also helps, but is a pain as you are likely to fail an MOT without one, so you have to put it back on each time. I went for a sports cat instead, as I can't be bothered with bolting stuff on and off like that.

4. voteforpedro Forum Member

AFAIK, decat = minimal gain for price and hassle. You will fail an MOT because the emissions will be too high.

But then there's also the debate of whether cats actually do much on modern cars except restrict airflow...

Maybe you can be the first to pass an MOT without one and set a precedent to the rest of the motoring world. :)

5. d1spm New Member

cheers for your suggestions guys much appriciated

but you reckon revo are the best for remaps?

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

do a search on google and make youre own mind up

from what i remember, the revo maps actually appeared to make the power deilvery worse than a normal 20vt (torque spike early on, then it goes limp)

in fact, there was a thread recently comparing quite a few remaps. it was the APR one that had the best delivery according to the dyno plot

7. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

mk4 lardy suspension.. how abouts starting there instead of power.
    custom code, revo, etc loads of choice of remapping.

Before making it faster I would deal with its handling & braking first.

8. Tspec

Tspec Forum Member

second that. seriously sort out the suspension first. if your going to pile on the power, get bigger brakes too. although im being a bit of a hypocrate saying that as ive still not upgraded my brakes.

9. jedi_stylie Forum Member

coilovers, 312mm brake conversion (proper easy, just need carriers disks and pads. you can use the calipers you got now) stage 1 remap.
    i got 220bhp out of a Custom Code stage1 remap, pretty happy with the delivery ect.
    if you wanna go for a stage 2 you'll need airfilter, full system exhaust and uprated recirc. valve. like a forge 007 for example. all before the stage 2 remap.

Luke

10. d1spm New Member

im looking at getting a set of 18" r32 rims, but was unsure of how much i shud drop it by what u guys reckon 30 or 40 mm i dont want to render the back seats useless as ive seen loads of cars lately so low its untrue just want a noticeable difference really