What to do with my mk2?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Ben_s, Jun 15, 2023.

1. Ben_s Forum Member

So, ive got a '90 8v with a PG conversion sitting in my garage. It hasn't moved for a couple of years and I do t see myself getting around to sorting it out any time soon and I'm wondering what to do!

I took it off the road about 4 years ago after having issues with the boost hoses blowing off the intercooler. Realised that the whole setup was pretty poor so set about making things right. New intercooler/ hoses. New remote oil cooler, fuel lines and a whole load of other stuff. Was planning to tackle the engine bay wiring as it was done pretty poorly but life got in the way. It's been sat in the garage ever since.

The charger is in good order but needs a service.

The creation of a tiny human recently means that I just can't see myself having the time or the money to work on it anymore. Part of me thinks I should sell it as is but I guess I wouldn't get much for it?

Do I fix it up and sell it?

Do I follow the original plan and sell of the g60 and stick a 24v VR in there as and when time and money are available?

Looking around at prices etc it all seems to have gone a bit mental with people asking silly money for fairly uninspiring examples of mk2s.

In my head, if it was running well I've got an idea that it might be worth £4k but I have no idea any more. I've been out of the loop for a while.

Condition wise, it's not bad. No rust on the usual suspects like fuel filler or a pillar. A bit of rot on the lower wings being the bumper but otherwise it's pretty good rust wise. Paint is passable, could do with a polish although it looks as though the lacquer is starting to peel around the windows etc.

Is it worth anything? Fixed or unfixed? Anyone have an opinion? I can't really bare to look at it any more so I need to do something with it!

2. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

I suppose it depends if you want a mk2 in your life long term? Children will grow up and time and energy will come back. The market right now is in decline imo, the rising interest rates have a lag affect (akin to pulling a brick along a table with an elastic band) so probably not the best time to sell however I can't see it getting much better as the wider ecomoic affect bite into people's finances.

I've been looking around casually at Mk2s and going as far to note down number plates and check if they actually change hands and it appears much of time they do not unless priced well. There is still some time for some sellers to reset expectations from covid high prices to todays reality. That said your £4k figure sounds fair, it's the basic looking 8v gtis with high miles up for 8/9/10k or cars with visible rust for £6k+ I'm referencing.

As for engine - G60 is a tough engine to love for parts these days and the 24v would be easier to live with. However I reckon the G60 would handle better than the 24v.

3. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Just keep it - I am 99.9% certain that if you sell it, at some point later you will wish you hadn't. (ask me how I know)
    Regardless of the expectations of sellers, Mk2 prices are going on an upward trend and will remain so, and in spite of life getting in the way, there will still be time to get back to the car and decide how you want to proceed with it.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
  4. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I’ll drive it around for you for a bit!

Keep it, you’ll regret it

5. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I laid mine up when my son was born, 15 years later he's helped me restore it, along with my daughter.

We've had some great weekends all spannering, let them hava a practice at welding etc.

If it was just me I wouldn't have been motivated enough but both of them asking if we're working on the car today works wonders!.

valvemiester and Matt Golf like this.