what to do?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Dr Zoidberg, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Dr Zoidberg

Dr Zoidberg Forum Member

I'm seriously considering selling the MK2 2l 8V and getting a MK3 2l 16V mainly to get some creature comforts and also for the extra power from the 16V. Had a cheque land on the mat from the inland revenue this morning so thats started me looking but not having ever driven a MK3 I have no idea if I'd be doing the right thing...Whats peoples opinions?

2. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

I've had both and if I'm honest the mk3 was a better car for everyday, more comfortable, better equipped easier to drive - but I still ended up selling it and putting my mk2 back on the road, there's just something about the oldness of a mk2 that I love, not to mention the fact that it's a far better looking car IMO. Why not look for a late mk2 16v, they came with leccy windows and p/steering standard and if your lucky leccy heated mirrors, leather, aircon etc. A decent 16v mk2 is just as fast (if not faster) than a mk3 16v as well :thumbup:

3. Dr Zoidberg

Dr Zoidberg Forum Member

I've got leccy windows and even central locking (well spoilt), did have power steering but took it off when I did the rebuild as I can turn the wheel without it and just adds weight :p. Maybe I should just change the wheels which I hate on mine and see how I feel

4. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Wouldnt have thought there'd be a lot in it performance wise to your current 8v except top end perhaps. Dosen't sound like you are too bothered about creature comforts if you ditched your power steering?! Don't think air con is all that common on a mk3 16v either? Ive never driven or been in a mk3 either but Id imagine it is a bit more refined (quieter, better ride, ligher controls), but no where near as much so as a mk4 etc....

Cheers

D

5. Dr Zoidberg

Dr Zoidberg Forum Member

well if theres not gonna be much difference performance wise then maybe I'll just stick with the mk2 and spend the money on getting the paint blown over to get rid of the stone chips and slight scratches, any ideas how much a blow over costs? and spend some on nitrous maybe :lol: