What to get

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by letooms, Dec 10, 2009.

1. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Right then Nikon lovers - a question:

I'm going to sell my D60 and upgrade to something a little newer. Still Nikon and i'll be buying new (nothing second hand). Budget is about 700 and this can be the camera body only if necessary.

I've looked at the D5000 but don't want HD video so it seems like i'm paying a premium for technology I don't need.

Will need the following: High ISO range (100 or lower up to 6400 if possible) full manual control and something compatible with my existing Nikon gear (selection of SB600's and my SU800)

I am a photography student and also earning money from commercial jobs as and when they come about so need a fully fledged digital slr. Full frame cameras are out of my price range at the minute.

What are you guys using at the minute? Does anyone have any experience of the d90/d5000/d3000?

2. richwig83 Forum Member

I would get a D300.... fantastic camera!!

3. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Also 300 over my budget. as much as i would love one...Is that what you use?

4. richwig83 Forum Member

Look on ebay... youll have to stretch your budget a little but its will be worth it!

I use canon!

5. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I have a D300 and am more than happy with it. When I bought mine in February, it cost 999, but it seems to have gone up a couple of hundred since then (weakness of the pound against the yen, apparently).

It was a good step up from my D70. My only complaint really is how heavy it is - I find it difficult to handhold without shake, so tend to cart a monopod/tripod around with me.

If you're local to a Jessops or Jacobs, go in at a quiet time and they'll usually happily show you their range and let you have a go with one. Then go home and find a cheaper price for what you fancy on the internet.

If you're earning a bit from commercial jobs, put the extra by from that.

Good luck.

6. mark25 Forum Junkie

Why do you need the high ISO range? Is your work inside or outside?

Apparently a D90 is nearly as good as a D300, as it's lighter, but uses the same sensor, as it's a later model. Just like the full-frame D700 is nearly as good as a D3.

7. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

In the studio primarily it's handy to have the low ISO available bearing in mind that the digi is used to test before moving onto the medium format camera.

Equally I like shooting in low ambient light at times so it's good to know it's available. and of course everything in between

8. N/B

N/B Forum Member

I really would reconsider getting a good, guaranteed used body.
    As you said, you're still a Student - get as much as you can, for as little as you can.
    These guys do the best kit in London, imo, and have a good D2X in at the moment.
    http://www.apertureuk.com/nikon_auto_focus.html

FWIW, I'm a pro (and have been for a long time) and still gladly buy used kit.

9. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Wow! thanks good link i'm round that way soon so i might pop in and check them out - didn't think i'd get full frame kit for my budget

10. richwig83 Forum Member

If that is the case... i would say low ISO doesnt matter... if its only for test shots... get a cheaper nikon! If its for keepers get the D300

11. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

True it is generally for testing but we meter for the relevant ISO. I use 50 ISO film on the medium format which means a negligible difference in effect between 50 and 100. as well as the settings transferring easily from one camera to the other when the times comes to switch. Lighting doesn't need adjusting etc etc. So the low ISO is useful.

Plus that's not exclusive use of the digital - i'll use 100 ISO outside if possible lighting conditions permitting.

12. mark25 Forum Junkie

I'd keep the D60, get a 2nd hand bowens studio flash lamp/set (which will be useful for the medium format too;) ) and calculate the difference in the ISO values between the Digi and medium format. I doubt the ISO values will be directly transferable from digi to meduim format anyway, you will probably have to practice to find the ISO error and then work that offset in anyway.

And a tripod for outside.

13. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

i use bowens already and arri lights on occasion. If I need them outside then we use a generator. I think the difference in ISO values equates to about 1 stop in total but as you know the look of an image can change considerably if the ISO values fluctuate significantly.

It's just for consistency really. If I know i'm working with 50 ISO film it makes sense to test with a camera that can shoot at that sort of setting.

I was going to keep the d60 as a backup camera but that's not realistic at this point in time.

True what you say about the difference between digital and film but again this is as negligible as the 1 stop difference between 50 and 100 ISO.

14. Golfamily7 Forum Member

I've just bought a D5000 and am loving it. Appears to do the full works even if the operater is very poor at using it. It will come in time.

15. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

I am looking at the d5000 and quite tempted to get it. My one issue is the HD video - I don't need it. I don't know how much of the cost is made up of the HD element.

I don't want to pay for technology I have no use for.

Can I ask how much you paid for it?

16. N/B

N/B Forum Member

You wouldn't - the D2X is DX format, 12.4MP.

You're right to look past HD Video DSLRs for now though, as at this point in your education (and the beginnings of your career), pure professional-grade bodies are what you need.

The D2X handles 400ISO and higher without difficulty, whereas PhaseOne, Leaf and Hasselblad are only just beginning to compete with their performance in the sensitivity stakes.
    (I've been using Hasselblad & Phase for 7 years, and finally sold my 503 kit this year).

Resolution isn't everything, Sensitivity is much more important.
    With higher sensitivity, you need fewer lights on location shoots. Result - lower costs and greater versatility.
    A bulletproof body like the D2X will see you right for a good while, and you'll be able to find some juicy used manual-focus Nikkors to stick on the front.
    The camera has a built-in Digital Rangefinder to confirm your focusing accuracy.
    Seriously, those old MF Nikkors are diamonds ;)

17. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

Ah! I thought the D2X was full frame - thanks for pointing that out. Still as you say sounds like a lot of kit (and relevant functionality) for my budget. The other issue is of course lenses. I assume my manual focus 50mm will fit the D2X fine? Will I get a used 105mm or 85mm for reasonable money for the D2X?

18. N/B

N/B Forum Member

You should be able to find some good kit, yes.
    Browse Ken Rockwell's site for lens reviews, and keep an eye on Aperture's stocklists.
    Ffordes are pretty good too - https://secure.ffordes.com/index.htm
    Also check out Grays of Westminster, and Richard Caplan in Piccadilly.

I've used an 85mm f1.4 AI-S Nikkor, it was lovely - pricey and heavy though. Their 85mm f2 was a goodie.
    I owned a 105mm f2.5 AI-S Nikkor and it remains one of the most amazing lenses out there. Legendary.

Happy hunting!

19. letooms Paid Member Paid Member

That's great! Thank you for your help with this I feel a bit more confident about what i'm looking for now. Digital is still bit of a minefield for me and I don't have the disposable income to get it wrong.

20. ivegotagti Forum Member

I wouldn't buy a used camera, not because I don't trust it (i'm sure its in perfect order) but because of old technology.

The best bet would be the d90, if the d300 is over budget.

i would question buying a new body at all really, the d60 is fine for most (i have the d40, http://www.flickr.com/photos/oliwoods/). i would say lenses are a better investment, unless you have silly money.

just my advice!