What to look for in a GT TDI 140?

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by VR666M, Nov 18, 2011.

1. VR666M Forum Member

So the mk2 needs to be retired as my daily driver, and I want something a bit newer!

What should I be looking out for on the mk5? What are the known problems with the TDI 140? How much should I pay for one?

I guess this might be a little bit of a 'how long is piece of string' question, but any help you can give will be gratefully recieved!

2. m1keh Forum Member

For a 2006-7ish one with about 100k miles you shouldnt pay much over 5k.

Less miles = more money.

I've seen a 100k mile 2004 car sell for 3500.

Judge from that what you feel is reasonable for what you are looking for.

Earlier ones had problems with cracking heads, so worth looking to see if it has had a head swap if you buy pre 2006.

Other than that look for a full service history. Take the car for a test drive making sure the engine is cold before you start it first, then make sure the test drive gets you up to full operating temperature and all different engine loads.

3. Rubberdubber Forum Member

I'm glad someone posted this as I have been considering one of these too. I believe the engine oil pumps have a problem, anyone know about this or what to look for if you are viewing a car?

4. Helios gti New Member

Hi I've got a 2007 GT 140 had it from new great car does everything it states on the box. auto lights,auto wipers, sports suspension had no issues. I get 600+ miles out of the tank when travelling to Dundee from Essex however this drops to around 480 to 500 miles when going back and forth to work.

5. mexicorich Forum Member

The oil pump problem doesn't effect 140 Golfs only the more expensive models Passats, A4s etc which had counterbalance shafts bolted to the bottom of the block with a stupid method then employed to drive the oil pump

I have a very nice Mk6 with the later CR engine if anyone in the North is looking to buy one

6. nrm1969 New Member

I meant to reply to this ages ago, I've had 2004 a MkV GT TDI 140 for 4 years now and generally been very good.

The problem areas are pretty well known but probably one to be most aware of is judder from the Clutch/Dual Mass Flywheel as that is an expensive replacement.

I've had to replace both front springs due to them breaking but that seems to be common problem on all cars these days.

Worth looking out for ABS warning light/ pump problems, changing the fluid every two years will help prevent water getting into the fluid but no guarantee it won't fail eventually.

Also look out for typical MK V corrosion issues, had to replace a front wing as the lip had corroded and been badly re-sprayed in the past and at 10 years old I'm now seeing corrosion around the tailgate badge/ handle.

Some one mentioned cylinder head problems, I think that affected the 1.9 TDIs but not 100%. Certainly I looked at a 2003/4 A3 1.9 TDI at the time and it had mayo in the oil which was a known risk.

This car replaced a 2006 Honda Civic company car and it's much better to drive, more economical and better built.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  7. rdf1988 Forum Member

I'm looking at getting a 2007 GT TDi 140 too.

Are the turbo's in these watercooled?

Thanks