What turbo for 500 bhp?... Reading compressor maps?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by sambo, May 7, 2009.

1. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Right then, tech bofins needed for some advice on choosing correct turbo for 500 bhp on 2.0l 20v engine

I'v done some reading on subject and it has confused the heck out of me

So many variables to consider, like finding out things about the engine like VE, air mass per minute, charge temps, absolute pressure... etc etc

Here is a link to Garrett site with this info

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/turbo_tech103.html

Just wondered if anyone could help me work out my engines parameters so i can plot them on maps and choose best turbo for me

I want to avoid surge at all costs and some lag dont bother me

I'v came up with two choices so far GT3076R

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT30/GT3076R_700382_12.htm

and GT3582R

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT35/GT3582R_714568_3.htm

If someone can help me work main parameters like pressure ratio and air mass flow i would be greatfull:thumbup:

Toyotec, Bill.... anyone else?:)

2. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Forgot to add some engine details

2.0l, steel: crank, rods, pistons, agu ported head, schrick cams(unknown spec), pro alloy intercooler, inlet manifold matched to head

Turbo will be top mounted on manifold likes of Bills a3 quattro build

3. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

This purely theory and a bit crude. But will give you the idea.
    First confirm how fast you want the car based on weight, gearing, budget.
    Work out how you want the torque delivery.
    If you must have a certain advertised "BHP" work out what quantity of torque and revs will be required to achieve this without compromising your torque delivery.
    Use BHP= TQ(lbft) * N/5252.
    Now that you have set these parameters and you are sure your engine is capable of delivering this in theoryor previous exposure, you are ready to choose a turbo.
    Start with compressor matching.
    You would need to know the Engine Airflow, BSFC, and VE (NB VE values follow the same shape as a torque curve)
    Rather than repeating what is already written, Garrett's website gives the explanation of how to go about choosing the right type of turbo compressor
    http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/turbo_tech103.html.
    Follow and plot your desired requirements against various compressor maps.
    Next choose the turbine A/R based on when you want the turbo to come on this is also available in the link.

5. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

I run GT3582 on 0.86 a/r hotside.
    power will kick from mid to high 4krpm onwards

GT3076 type spec on a 0.86 a/r may make for a more streetable setup given you are 2ltr.

6. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I'v just done some calculations regarding boost required to achieve around 520 bhp

My engine will need to see around or just under 2bar

Like i say i dont mind some lag as the car will eventually become more of a track car

I am deffo going for external wastegate set up

Bill, i am interested in exh manifold to suit something like 3076R as well as downpipe if poss, both ceramic coated, could you give me a price please?

7. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

manifold - 950, downpipe I would need to make to the car (oh joy - lol)

along the lines of what I am doing on matts currently DP wise.. must have vband hotside to the turbo Circa 375 for making the DP, excludes cat

ceramic coating is charged at cost plus handling, which on matts, was 460 for mani & dp that was done

ball park..