what turbo?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by mk216valver, Feb 24, 2009.

1. mk216valver Forum Member

Hey!

Ok, so I've given into peer pressure and decided to start a 16v turbo project :-)

I'm going the S2 route to try and keep the costs down, already got s2 pistons, rods and exhaust manifold. Was thinking of getting a S3 inlet manifold and 1.8t fuel rail, megasquirt or maybe as badger bills new shop is on the same industrial estate as me might have a word with him about management. The bit I'm not too sure about is what turbo to go for? I'm really after 300bhp, so from what i'v gathered from other threads a k16 or k24 are gunna max me out at about 280bhp without very high boost, a k26 should get me to 300 but the lag will be horrific. Roberts brown 1.8 16vt (airless-riders.de and featured in pvw) had a k16 exhaust housing and k24 compressor housing and made over 300 - which has thrown me completely as it seems to go against everything else i've read.

Anybody got any ideas or suggestions?

One other thing, has anyone run 2 exhaust cams in a 16v turbo? Is it a bad idea?

Cheers guys,
    Jon

2. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

These are porsche turbo turbos you are referring to? Made by KKK?

Lots of people on VW Vortex have 16v turbos and there is a lot of knowledge to be had on their site!

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

1) Are you after a fast vehicle for road, drag or track?
    2) Or after a dyno queen?
    3) Do you have the funds, patience and dedication to see this through to the end?
    Without understanding these parameters, to answer would be like ****ing in the wind.
    'Making 300BHP' does not always translate into a vehicle thats great to drive.

4. mk216valver Forum Member

I'm basically after somthing that will quite happily scare the bacheesus out of me everytime i hit the go pedal. From what I've seen of other mk2 16vt making around the 300bhp figure and being in other cars that make similar power/weight ratio that should do the job. I'm not planning on taking it to the track - i don't think 300bhp in a fwd car in a track environment is gunna work personally.

I don't expect to do this in a couple of months, I'd be happy if i could be getting close to getting it running by this time next year tbh. I'm reasonably competent with a pair of spanners and I've got access to a full garage if needed for any big issues. I'm not in a rush to do it, I enjoy messing about with my golf, it's a good way for me to de-stress from work. I'm trying to do it as cheap as possible, if only for the challenge, but if it takes me 3 months to save for a turbo, that's what it takes ;)

Does that help? :lol:

Cheers

5. GolfTurboInnovation New Member