What would cause no Boost

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by altern8, Dec 10, 2006.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

The 16vt has never had any power since ive had it so we fitted a TIM boost gauge yesterday and it turns out im getting no boost at all on the gauge it has -1 upto +1 and when im driving it flutuates between -1 and 0 it never goes above it.

I had someone check the turbo and he said theres no blue smoke or nasty noises but there is a noise from the cam chains and water pump/pas area

What would cause no boost ?

Cheers
    Craig

2. Fenn Forum Member

does it read any vacume (-ve pressure). could it be a dodgy gauge?

3. Collie Forum Junkie

any pics of the engine bay, have you checked the obvious ie wastegate stuck open, hoses off etc

4. altern8 Forum Junkie

its a new guage so i hope its not faulty i didnt get to read any reading past 0 but it would go below when i was not on the accelerator

i cant see any pipes off and i cant hear any air leaks,

how can i check the waste gate? im new to turbos so i really know know what to check

Cheers
    Craig

5. Collie Forum Junkie

the only way of checking as far as i know is that the actuator can stick hence holding the waste gate open so you need to remove this and check it for movement, they usually sieze shut causing over boosting but theres always a chance it could be a bit open letting alll the boost straight down the exhaust

6. mr purple Forum Member

Actuator springs are a common item to go so as soon as any positive pressure is made by the turbo the actuator opens and gives no boost. Easy enough to check, just watch the actuator arm and rev the engine hard, the actuator shouldn't move just by revving the car with no real load, if it's knackered it'll move almost straight away. It could be that the actuator is set up wrong and holding the wastegate open all the time, bit harder to check, the end or the actuator arm needs to be disconnected from the wastegate and then check that the wastegate is fully closed with the actuator arm in its 'returned' position.

7. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

as said... wastegate actuator to check and wastegate itself... maybe stuck open... and the obvious pipes..
    not showing any -ve vacuum on idle does'nt sound right tho.. Where have you got the gauge plumbed into? (needs to be engine side of throttle body) - presuming also your pronouncing no boost from driving it and not just revving it in neutral. (sorry but I had to ask)

8. altern8 Forum Junkie

9. Collie Forum Junkie

any update????

10. altern8 Forum Junkie

hey

Sorry no update yet, its been raining all week and the cab is in the garage. I will be taking the intercooler to be pressure tested on the weekend hopefully so they can tell me if i need a new one or not.

11. altern8 Forum Junkie

update the turbo is not turning at all lookes like its sized so i can eaither get mine reconditioned or buy a new t25 but the something elbow was modded when TT fitted the turbos to the car

I might be able to fit a t28

12. rajmirch Forum Member

t25 and t28 will have the same flange so will fit the manifold but things like the downpipe position/connection may be different. I'd rebuil/hybrid the existing one!

13. altern8 Forum Junkie

how do hybrid turbos work?

14. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Hybrid just means a mix of different non standard turbo parts. For example you might fit a different turbine wheel or housing to fit with your particular flow/fitment needs.