Whats a power cap for??

Discussion in 'ICE' started by 8Valverpaul, Aug 29, 2005.

1. 8Valverpaul Forum Member

As the question says what are they used/good for??[:s]Yes I am new to all this I.C.E malarky!!:lol:;)
    Edited by: 8Valverpaul

2. Jetta Forum Junkie

A capacitor can discharge its power instantly but a battery can only give of power slowly, so to give your system power for those big base monents, best to set up your system first and see if your headlights dim with the base

3. mbh69 Forum Member

a power cap is of no use as once it's drained it is also trying to recharge and power the system so puts the battery / alternator under more stress
    the best way to solve power issues is a bigger battery / second battery and bigger alternator

4. Mark16v Forum Member

Good wiring and a descent setup\battery shouldn't need a capacitor unless you're going for a setup MBH style to be honest

5. mbh69 Forum Member

i wouldn't touch a power cap at the moment i have 2 large batteries and a vr6 120 amp alternator

if it wasn't for the lack of space i'd have a couple more batteries

to split charge and run a second battery is cheaper than a power cap even a larger battery will make a difference

alternatively battcaps are different and can help there available from www.caraudiodirect.com but are more like batteries

6. 8Valverpaul Forum Member

[:D]Cheers lads!!;)