What's best hole for power cable (MKIV)

Discussion in 'ICE' started by dub303, Apr 25, 2006.

1. dub303 Forum Member

Gonna be fitting Hi-fi into MKIV golf (2000 X turbo if it makes a difference) and wondered if anyone knows the easiest route for a fairly fat power cable (nothing toooo big).

Would be great if I don't have to dismantle dash.

Any help appreciated, cheers !

2. tlcGTI89 Forum Member

Best thing to do in this case and any case is to drill a new hole for it and put a gromet in the hole to protect it from the metal cutting threw it. and do it on the driver side right below the top of the brake pedal cleanest route. hope that helps

3. dub303 Forum Member

Drilling a hole does seem to save a lot of hassle but I always tried to avoid it in the past, then again..... is that what the pro's do ?

4. jjoe90 New Member

i did it in my mk 4 other week there is a fairly large gromit on the passenger side of the car just make a hole in there and away you go. comes out under the glove box just get ya mate to push and stick your head under the glove and you will see it after that peace of pish

5. dub303 Forum Member

sounds perfect jjoe90, will look for that over the weekend.
    was it a blank or was there already cable/wire going through it ?..... guess I will find out soon enough.

Cheers fellas.

6. TurbTech Forum Junkie

I've run a few cables in these before and don't remember having any troubles. If you have any problems remove the glovebox (which only takes a minute or so) and that should make things easier. Poke a metal coat hanger through any existing holes and it will be easy to find when it comes out into the engine bay, then just tape the cable to it and pull it through. :)

You won't have to drill any holes!!

7. dub303 Forum Member

Sounds easier than I thought it would be! Almost looking forward to it now.

Hope I have an old coat hanger hanging around, won't get far with one of them posh woodern ones I have from IKEA.